Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started when last Sunday I took out the stock head unit, have a look at the cabling but did not unplug or touch anything. Try to find out more before buying and installing after market head unit.

I discover later the steering wheel control is not working, at night the steering wheel button lights which is suppose to be on is off. This morning, I took out the head unit and unplug/replug the cables.

My mistake, the 147 did not start. Check battery power seems to be OK. Caught a glimpse of the message "Immobilizer Failure" but it will not start the engine. What shall I do ?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i wonder if the issue is unrelated to the headunit and its plugs (and the CANBUS connections). cos, for example, when an aftermarket headunit is fitted, the CANBUS connections end up disconnected/unused, and the car is obviously fine.

i don't know how the steering buttons are related (they presumably are related to the overall problem, just that i don't know how).

do you have a multimeter? i would measure the voltage of the battery. low voltage can cause many faults; it could be low even though most of the dash seems to operate ok. or if you can't measure voltage, just try replacing the battery anyway.

a more serious issue could be the problem, like a faulty ECU, or steering wheel clockspring (or short circuit within the wiring).

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hope not anything serious. That's what I thought, unplugging/replugging stock head unit should not cause any trouble. My friend suggest take out the negative battery terminal for say 10 minutes and replug in to reset the car. I have try this later since I am not at home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tested the car, confirmed battery problem. The voltage reading is 12.38V but when ignition is turn on, the LED on the cockpit blanks and the engine sounds "tuck tuck", just won't start.

I will get new battery tomorrow. :)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
yep, that should fix it.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts