Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a fuse or something for these? The red backlight isnt on my steering wheel controls....

Not sure why they wouldn't be on? The buttons all work fine....

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
If they are similar to the 156 controls (which I believe they are ... except that the outputs of the resistor ladders goes into CAN rather than the HU) the 2 are on completely separate in terms of the wires that control them. I doubt there is a single fuse just for the steering wheel lights (led's) therefore I would presume that the connection in the clock spring has gone ... just a guess though.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but the buttons are fine? I wonder if it's something to do with my horn problem... (only one of the two horns sound)

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
My buttons have never lit (they did on the 147) and then they started to not work intermittently along with the horn...and now - nada, nothing, zip. I believe it's the clock spring, yours is probably on its way out.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
but the buttons are fine? I wonder if it's something to do with my horn problem... (only one of the two horns sound)
Do the horns on the 147 work differently depending upon how you press them? i.e. a small tap just one goes off, or a full on push and they both sound? If this is the case then I'm sure the logic for this would be in the steering wheel itself ... if my assumptions are correct then my initial "guess" of the clock spring would seem to be correct.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The problem is with the self illuminating diode inside, they are on two seperate circuits.

If the problem was with the diodes themselves then they wouldn't both stop working at once would they? they are powered from a common source (through the clock spring) therefore this is more likely to be the problem area

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
so I need to find a replacement clock spring... can they be ordered from alfa?

Yes, but you'd be better ordering from a small francise (ebspares etc), although before that (if I were you) I'd take it apart, get the multimeter out and confirm that it is the clock spring that is faulty.

A

·
0 Posts
I think it's this part that's faulty.
How to cure the horn push on an Alfa 156/147 and GT
Not the same cure as the horn, but you get the idea. Can be found cheap on eBay, I think, or taken to any phone repair shop and get it fixed even cheaper.

I am pretty sure it's not the clock spring, I've never seen those fail. Plus, you can find them used on ebay.
It might be the cables under the airbag, or the above mentioned contact, the horseshoe.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've changed the clock spring and also the horsehoe PCB behind the airbag and it's made no difference...

Does anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I've changed the clock spring and also the horsehoe PCB behind the airbag and it's made no difference...

Does anyone else have any ideas?
how about ...

… although before that (if I were you) I'd take it apart, get the multimeter out and confirm that it is the clock spring that is faulty.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I don't have a multimeter handy and I wouldn't have a clue what I'm supposed to be measuring.
Buy a multimeter!! ... always very useful

You're going to need to look for voltages, trace back from the led's and check the voltages as you go, you're not going to get to the bottom of it by just randomly changing bits

A

·
0 Posts
Did you try checking with a tester to see which airbag causes the error in the dash ?
Because you might be guessing it's the steering wheel one, but could be another one, in fact.
As for the LEDs, have you tried another set of steering wheel controls ? Perhaps it's simply the PCB of the controls that's damaged.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Buy a multimeter!! ... always very useful

You're going to need to look for voltages, trace back from the led's and check the voltages as you go, you're not going to get to the bottom of it by just randomly changing bits
I have one just needs a new battery :lol:

Did you try checking with a tester to see which airbag causes the error in the dash ?
Because you might be guessing it's the steering wheel one, but could be another one, in fact.
As for the LEDs, have you tried another set of steering wheel controls ? Perhaps it's simply the PCB of the controls that's damaged.
I don't have any airbag dash errors, No I haven't tried another set of controls but it's next on my list. I need to get the multimeter sorted first I think.

A

·
0 Posts
Very hard to measure with the multimeter on the PCB of the stereo controls as those are tiny with isolated contacts.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Very hard to measure with the multimeter on the PCB of the stereo controls as those are tiny with isolated contacts.

but you can easily check the inputs to the PCB (outputs from the clocksping) ... thus isolating where the problem is ...

A

·
0 Posts
Not the clockspring, the horseshoe contact, maybe. But yes, the problem can be isolated by the measuring, yet it's far easier to simply try with a different set of steering wheel controls ;) Clockspring and horseshoe contact were changed and they turned out not to be the problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts