Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
OK...had a quick feel when I got home...then I had a quick look at the car.....

So......there is play in the N/S front at the TRE area.....I haven't taken the wheel off to have a proper look but it's dark.

That to me means either the TRE is goosed (hopefully), the Track Rod is gubbed (ok but a bit more work) or the actual steering rack is gubbed (but I doubt that).

One thing puzzles me.....how can a track rod be gubbed ? It looks like a lump of metal that screws at both ends. Do they wear at the "join" in the middle that allows the tracking to be altered ?

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
There is a joint inside the gator at steering rack end that allows rod to move (just like there is a point where movement can occur in driveshaft, well 2, there is a joint on rod and can get worn) and the ball joint on the tre. It'll be one of the two causing the movement.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers John. I'm hoping it's the TRE and not the rod. I take it the rod is easy enough to change ? Just remove gaitor and unscrew it ?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Might as well do both as he other one probably isn't far behind and you don't want to pay for tracking twice.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I ordered both. There is a rattle coming from the other side too, but I couldn't find any immediate play. But that's not to say it isn't there, I only took the N/S wheel off at lunch as I knew there was play on that side

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Drop links or rollbar bushes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts