Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't able to find anything to shed light on what could be going on with my 147 Lusso anywhere so decided to make a thread.

I had just finished cleaned my spark and coils today and took my car for a spin only to notice when I started her up and adjusted the steering wheel to move off and I noticed quite a loud squeaking noise coming from what seemed to be the dash. After opening the window and having an ear out there was a head wrecking squeaking coming from the front.

The squeaking is heard when I turn the wheel even slightly (while stationary) either left or right. It seems to be coming more from the front right if that could narrow it down?
I can hear it while cornering slowly to.

Initially I thought track rod ends? My fluid levels are ok.. I haven't noticed anything like this leading up to it but I fear it could be the result of hitting some nasty pot holes on our beloved Irish roads.

Any advice as to what I could or where to start? The last thing I want to hear is a new rack :paranoid:

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Power steering pump possibly or aux belt slipping under load.
Would start by checking the belt first, check the tension, if it's worn or been contaminated with anything.

You can rub soap (as in from a bar of soap not shower gel or anything) onto the belt running surface and see if it quietens it then at least you know where the noise is from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power steering pump possibly or aux belt slipping under load.
Would start by checking the belt first, check the tension, if it's worn or been contaminated with anything.

You can rub soap (as in from a bar of soap not shower gel or anything) onto the belt running surface and see if it quietens it then at least you know where the noise is from.
I will defiantly give that a try in daylight and see how the noise differs in wet conditions.

Just had a further inspection and the noise is 100% coming from the driver side suspension system. Had someone turn the wheel vigorously and with my hand on the upper wb I could feel the vibrations from the high pitch squeaking.

Given this, whats more likely to create a noise when the wheel is turned any direction? Upper ball joint?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Ah, that kind of squeak, is it a squeak rather than a squeel?

Could be top or bottom balljoint, or possibly track rod balljoint.

Try squirting something like WD40 on each joint in turn, give it a good soak, then try turning, that way you should be able to locate which one it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Try squirting something like WD40 on each joint in turn, give it a good soak, then try turning, that way you should be able to locate which one it is.
Would resemble rubber on rubber or something along the lines.

Top idea, through process of elimination. Will give this a try tomorrow and post results.
Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Had a terrible noise from front suspension. Happened with a slight turn of the wheel. Also happened going over bumps. Turned out it was lower suspension arm balljoint.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Don't expect your balljoint covers to last too long after that ... WD40 and rubber are mutually exclusive ... use SILICON SPRAY ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello.
My Giulietta sounds about the same when turning the steering wheel. I know for sure that i have a bad ball joint and next week I'm schedueld tu replace it along with the distribution kit and water pump.
Hope this will sort the squeaking. I will let you guys know.

Cheers,
Radu

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Last year my JTS developed the balljoint horrible squeaking/creaking sound. Now I normally attend to things promptly but as I had a previous car which made that noise in spring for 2 weeks only but it happened on consecutive years, I left it. I accepted it as a feature of that car.

Long story short is the noise went away and the JTS has since covered 10-15k since the noise went away. There is no balljoint free play or wear. I don't know why this happens or what causes such a painful dry deathly squeak in the balljoints but I have had 2 cars now where it later returned to normal. In both cases, drier warmer weather seemed to trigger that horrible squeak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts