Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a steering rack for a 156 as the one on my GT is exibiting a clonk/free play/leaking on drivers side. However was told today they are different.

What is the difference and can the 156 one be fitted after I get it checked out?

C

·
0 Posts
The splined bit where the column joins the rack is a differs between the 156 and the 147. I'd suspect that the GT uses the same rack as a 147.

It's worth noting that the 3.2 track rods are different to the standard track rods too.

Regardless of which I'd suggest that the clunking is more likely to be caused by worn anti roll bar bushes and /or the cv joint issues you've mentioned in your other thread.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ARB are polys done last year so unlikely. Seen the play in the rack myself so inclined to sort that too. Never thought of CV joint though.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
one can buy the ends for the 147 so before you rush out for a rack perhaps see if its a steering rack arm and if you can buy them for your car .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which Rack ends for 147

I own a 2008 147 MONZA SELESPEED . I need to replace the rack ends or at least one of them atm .
I found some on eBay and at an Alfa Parts dealer in Melbourne . It appears that there are slight differences that are available . e.g.. some are slightly longer than others . I can't find anywhere that will give me specifics to order for my car . The Alfa Parts dealer in Melbourne used my VIN number and said he has the parts in stock , however they are 5X the cost of what i can buy online .
Does anyone know where/how i can find the right parts for my car so that i can order the right ones online?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for that . However that alfa spare parts only lists a full steering rack replacement option .
I ordered from a company in Melbourne . Funny thing was , the ones i received the mechanic said were the wrong ones cause they were different .
I fitted them myself . No problem .
Thanks for your reply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts