Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am going to change the steering rack on my 156 1.8ts. I got a second hand rack from another model, and im pretty sure they are the same. Heard the job is hard and a pain in the ass, but i have no other choice. Any tips? Also what kind of power steering fluid do i need for it? And how much when it is completely empty?

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
491 Posts
Yes, it's a subframe off job. Can be done in the driveway, but won't be easy. I did my front ARB bushings in the driveway last year - wasn't particularly fun. Needed a hand realigning it to the holes on the car, when it was time to put it all back together.

For fluid, I'd recommend Shell Spirax S4 ATF HDX :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's a subframe off job. Can be done in the driveway, but won't be easy. I did my front ARB bushings in the driveway last year - wasn't particularly fun. Needed a hand realigning it to the holes on the car, when it was time to put it all back together.

For fluid, I'd recommend Shell Spirax S4 ATF HDX :)
Thank you, i have got a shop that i get to borrow for the job, so that will make it much better, i assume

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
491 Posts
Yes, if they have a couple of transmission jacks to help the job (removing and replacing sub frame - and repositioning engine).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts