Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im in the process of replacing my diff for a Q2 and have struck difficultly. I managed to break the seal on both 21mm streering rack bolts that run up from the sub-frame, but after about 1 turn the bolt started to become tight. :cry: I backed it off, and tried again and it went a little further and then tight again. I tried to backed off again, but now back off is also tight, sh.t.. it's stuck. :cry:

I tried knocking it with a hammer to loosen it but it is still tight.

I havent tried to force it yet as i guess it will just completely strip.

Any ideas how I can remove this bolt without totally distroying the steering rack thread?

Thanks,

danny

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You can remove bolts with a tool I believe is called a nut spliter. It fits over the nut and had a chisel like blade which you wind into the nut, with a ratchet spanner to split it in half. The nut will be wrecked but I am sure you could replace that more easily than the steering rack.

The tool is about £5-£10. I got one years ago but don't know where it's gone or I would put up a pic

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
The problem may be rust on the portion of thread that's exposed at the end of the bolt. I'd suggest giving it a good dousing with penetrating oil, PlusGas or whatever you can get, &, if accessible, wire-brushing it to get rid of as much rust as possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I did mine I had a similar problem. I soaked the bolt with easing oil overnight and then used a big bar to remove it. Prior to refitting I ran a tap and die over the threads. Suggest you use copper slip grease on all the sub frame bolts prior to reassembley.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice 'hillp' regarding the copper slip grease, I will see if I can chase it down.

I was lucky enough to get it out using force. The bolt was only half stripped. A crazy amount of brut force with a 2 foot bar and perseverance did the trick.

The subframe seems very tricky to put back. I might take off the wish-bones.

G

·
0 Posts
Just a quick question, but why take the subframe out to fit the Q2 !:confused:

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi John,

I followed 2 procedures to replace the diff. and both suggest to drop the sub-frame. I must admit after replacing the diff I did wondered if it is possibe to remove the diff without dropping the subframe. Do you have any experience with this? can it been done without removing the sub-frame?

I used Cris155 Q2 installation guide and also Fitting an Alfa Romeo Q2 Differential.

Danny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like ya having a nightmare, with cars nothing goes easy :(
I must congratulate cris155, he said it took him 3 hours to take the gearbox out. Well I spent a week with many stripped bolts and very tricky sub-frame re-installation. Its mostly done now, should have it back on the road tomorrow :) and can see what this Q2 is all about :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi danny

Yes we fit loads of Q2s and only take the subframe out if we are doing a clutch or fitting a front roll bar.

John

C

·
0 Posts
I must congratulate cris155, he said it took him 3 hours to take the gearbox out. Well I spent a week with many stripped bolts and very tricky sub-frame re-installation. Its mostly done now, should have it back on the road tomorrow :) and can see what this Q2 is all about :)
I know, holy thread resurection.... but

I said it took 3 hours to replace the anti roll bar! Not the gearbox.:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts