Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

car is a 1993 (skinny) 155 with 2L 8V. :)

i've found some 'slop', only on the RIGHT handside of the steering. it appears to be from the 'ball joint' (see attached pic).

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/20047742/339541099.jpg

the tie-rods are both fine. when i have both front wheels off the ground (ie: car on axle stands), the left side is rock solid, with no slop. but i can grasp the right wheel or hub, and move it to-fro slightly. more than just 'slightly', reasonably significantly.

it bothers me because when i change the load on the front of the car - sudden acceleration or lift-off, or hitting a bump - i can feel the geometry change, and the car sometimes pulls one way or the other. i figure this is cos the right wheel shifts direction. there should be no other slop in the suspension: new lower wishbones fitted, struts/dampers are new, top bearings are in good condition.

the situation is not terrible - it's mostly annoying. but can i fix it? can the balljoint be replaced? from the schematic, does it mean i have to change the entire steering rack?! :( :eek:

i don't want to change the whole lot, so if that's the case, i will leave it. though is there any danger it will fall apart?! :tut:

:)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I have heard rumors that you can replace the ends but I wouldn't know where from.

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. i will start to make more enquiries. though i don't think my local (australian) alfa dealer will have any idea - actually, one of the guys there was from NZ, and serviced 155's. he will hopefully know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this same problem as well - so if you find a solution, I'd be very interested. I expect the steering rack on both of our 155's would be the same. I also have the problem of the bad ball joints on the lower wishbones (that you have now dealt with...) and when I am able to address this problem the extent of the issue with the steering rack ball joints will become clearer.

jim.

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again for the further info. :)

i'm going to have to fix it now - the car, today, did not pass Roadworthy (equivalent of your MOT), and this was the only 'mechanical' reason (a few trivial what i consider 'cosmetics' need returning to original to pass).

i'll contact EB Spares...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts