Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my steering seems to have a mind of its own at the moment any ideas, got 17inch standaard wheels but when driving its all over place tracking ok, sometimes steering drifts on straight any ideas

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Tyre pressures, worn bottom wishbones, worn shockers?

Could be all sorts really....when you say "steering drifts" - do you mean it follows the camber of the road, or does it tend to track surface irregularities - like patched road surfaces?

·
Registered
129 Posts
most probably worn bushes allowing the geometry of the suspension to change when driving giving you that drifting steering feeling. Jack the car up and check for free play in the two front wheels forwards and backwards and side to side. Also worth notting have you hit any kerbs recentley? could have a bent steering arm and the angle of this is critical to accurate steering!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you are driving on a straight bit of road like the motorway it starts off ok but then it wants to steer it self left or right quit harsh when you come to a bend the steering do not feel right

·
Registered
129 Posts
when did this all start happening?. are the tyres wearing evenly? i would suggest checking all suspension for wear first, If you do not find any wear a 4 wheel alignment will diagnose/ fix any suspension issues.

·
Registered
231 Posts
correct alignment is amazing,
if it feels like once it starts steering in a direction it wants to keep pulling itself that way then your toeing out.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Front and / or rear suspension bushes.
Steering rack loose.
Track rod ends worn.
Set the tracking to 0 degrees. Standard, and no doubt how the alignment company have done it, is -7mins. (Resetting the tracking is a waste of time if there are problems with any of the above.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi all update had a good look at it all the tyres are wearing on the inside no pay in suspension i have had lots of new suspension parts fitted to to car when i brougth on the life side still all over the road:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
does the steering wheel shake when you reach 50+ mph? If it does shake even a little bit, then you might have a bent alloy (especially if they're 17" or 18").
I had a problem that the car would drift to one side all the time if I'm not holding the wheel (no matter what speed it was, higher speed - more drift).
Thought it had something to do with wheel alignment... Turned out it was because one front alloy was slightly bent.

If the alloys are straight, then get all wheel alignment checked, especially if you say that more wear is on the inside of the tyre...

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
hi all update had a good look at it all the tyres are wearing on the inside no pay in suspension i have had lots of new suspension parts fitted to to car when i brougth on the life side still all over the road:confused:
get tracking set to 0 parallel ,if you accelerate hard does it stop wandering?

ps sometimes .what happening at front is caused by the rear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts