Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i have had my 147 back from the garage, if i move the steering wheel while the car is stationary or moving slowly, i can hear a knocking noise from my drivers side wheel. Is it safe to assume my steering arm/track rod end ball joint has worn?

Cheers.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Need to check by either jacking the front wheels off the ground, and moving the wheel side to side, checking for excessive movement. Better if it's up on a four poster, someone in the driviing seat, moving the steering wheel side to side whilst looking at the components?:):

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just had the car up over lunch. The steering joints are solid. After much investigation it seems to be coming from the bottom of the steering column.

I also took the oppertunity to have a look at the remaining knocks in the suspension. Upper wishbones seem solid. The ARB moved slightly when i put a screwdriver under it . The lower wisbones seeemed tight too but the bushes at the front where the fork attaches seemed very loose and i Could easily move them a little with my hands. I was told that it is normal and they always look worse than they are. can anyone advise on the best way to test the front suspension (including ARB).?

Many thanks to the Fellow AO'er that helped me too this lunchtime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts