Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short and sweet. Got one removed ok with the help of a rather intimidating looking ball joint splitter. The other side however is just not shifting. Splitter not moving it, heavy hammer not moving it, neither is Basil Fawlty style verbal abuse. In a piqué of rage I attacked it with an angle grinder - and am now left with an immobile stump.:rant: any suggestions?

Tried heating it too - although a chef torch may not cut it against the likes of oxycetalene.....:D

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
What exactly did you do with the angle girder? have you just cut the threads off?

Are you aware of the 2 hammer technique. On the strut that surrounds the taper, whack the joint as hard as you can at the same time with two decent size hammers. That sometimes shocks it out. Failing that take the shock out. Put what is left of the ball joint threaded stump on an anvil, get a round tube over the ball joint and bash down. Watch out as the ball joint remains may well fly up the tube. Does that make sense.....?

Anyone else with some ideas, that perhaps involves drills and lots of heat perhaps??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you removing the strut or replacing the ball joint, if removing the strut just unbolt the whole arm at the steering rack

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly did you do with the angle girder? have you just cut the threads off?

Are you aware of the 2 hammer technique. On the strut that surrounds the taper, whack the joint as hard as you can at the same time with two decent size hammers. That sometimes shocks it out. Failing that take the shock out. Put what is left of the ball joint threaded stump on an anvil, get a round tube over the ball joint and bash down. Watch out as the ball joint remains may well fly up the tube. Does that make sense.....?

Anyone else with some ideas, that perhaps involves drills and lots of heat perhaps??
The threaded bit sticking out the bottom is all that remains . . . . . . . Tried the 2 hammer thing to no avail too. I think removal of the strut may be all that remains now unless someone knows any different. It really is in there rock solid.

Are you removing the strut or replacing the ball joint, if removing the strut just unbolt the whole arm at the steering rack
Just replacing ball joint. Have refurbed the steering arms and have new ball joints.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
So what happened when you wound up the ball joint splitter, did you actually get to a point where it would not wind up any further :confused: I have seen them start to bend the threaded section, but in the past I have had to wind them up what feels really tight - and then given them a couple or 3 really good thwacks with a big hammer and that often then shocks them apart. It is the combination of the significant pressure coupled with the shock of the hammer (on the strut around the ball joint taper) that works. Have you tried both of these together....?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the wind up splitter before (and hitting the sides with a hammer) to no avail. The splitter I used was the merciless type that was loaned to me by my favourite indy. A vicious looking fork sharply tapered that you whack with a lump hammer.
I even tried hitting from underneath while the splitter was well thumped in. Nothing, zilch, nada, f** all

·
Registered
308 Posts
I tried the wind up splitter before (and hitting the sides with a hammer) to no avail. The splitter I used was the merciless type that was loaned to me by my favourite indy. A vicious looking fork sharply tapered that you whack with a lump hammer.
I even tried hitting from underneath while the splitter was well thumped in. Nothing, zilch, nada, f** all
Stesco

The fork splitters are rubbish. I can loan you a heavy duty Clamp type splitter that will definately do the job.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Arghhh! Didn't realise you were using the rubbish fork type splitter.

As GTcoop says - you need the wind on type. Using the fork type ones you may as well have used one made of chocolate. I am not surprised you struggled now that it has dawned on me it was the fork type.

Go and get the clamp type, wind it on really hard (would be surprised if that did not do it anyway), if it doesn't just do it on it own then wind it up really tight, give the casting around the tapered section a good thwack with a hammer and watch it ping apart. If that doesn't do it, give it a couple of more winds, a couple of more whacks and so on. If you go progressively I am certain it will split. Remember not to be surprised with the sound of the 'crack' when it does eventually go......

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Stesco

The fork splitters are rubbish. I can loan you a heavy duty Clamp type splitter that will definately do the job.
I may just give it another go if that is OK with you

Just re-read your post where you said you used the wind up type but to no avail.

What was it that made you stop winding and hitting?
Yes. That was the first round of Fawlty-esque ranting

One thought also, is to put the car back together and take it to your local friendly indie. Is that an option?
Alas not an option

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best of luck, let us know how you get on. :)

As you say, it is a shame you could not get some decent heat on it first. Is that not an option also to borrow something that has a good source of intense heat, before you try the splitter again?
It's now chopped. I am left with a stump . . . . . . Much head scratching to do I think. I had also soaked in in WD40 over a period of time.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Stesco

Will call you this weekend and pop over with the joint splitter if you're about :thumbs:
On the Fife riviera until SUnday night, however plan to be working on the car a fair amount over the next 10 days as wife and child remain up here . . . . .

I'll happily try the proper splitter though if that is OK. Speak to you in the next few days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts