Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06, 159 mostly steams up on these cold days especially when there is more than just me in the car. (steady).

If it was not for A/C then I think I'd seriously have to take the bus.
There does not appear to be a leak from the cooling system. Just wondered if anybody else had a similar problem. It's almost as if the recirc was on.
since I bought the car in November it has been like this. I had the A/C re-gassed (thankfully) and as such it clears with switched on.
A handy feature seems to be even on the 'Auto' setting (as oppose to Full Auto) the A/C will switch on if it notes higher humidity. Normally leave it in Full Auto anyway.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pollen filter is probably dirty, when was it changed last.
I don't know. Not had the car that long. Oddly I think I had a similar (but not as severe) problem on my GT.
I'll take a look if I can find it easily :)
I've also noticed again like the GT (now you mention it) there is not much 'blow' from the fan...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
When I got mine (nearly 5 years ago now) it had a full 6 stamp service history and I got the garage to do a full service before I picked it up.

Into the winter and the windows would steam up - took it to my local who said it looked like pollen filter had never been done! Half hour later all was good, no misting - not to mention the gusts of air that now comes through!

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I got mine (nearly 5 years ago now) it had a full 6 stamp service history and I got the garage to do a full service before I picked it up.

Into the winter and the windows would steam up - took it to my local who said it looked like pollen filter had never been done! Half hour later all was good, no misting - not to mention the gusts of air that now comes through!
Think you two may have nailed it. Thankyou :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Mine did this on Boxing Day. Found the bulkhead drain blocked again! The rear offside footwell was soaking under the overmat. The mat is out drying and bulkhead drain sorted in seconds with a satisfying glug of emptying water. Must get some compressed air down it to get it really clear.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine did this on Boxing Day. Found the bulkhead drain blocked again! The rear offside footwell was soaking under the overmat. The mat is out drying and bulkhead drain sorted in seconds with a satisfying glug of emptying water. Must get some compressed air down it to get it really clear.
****, that sounds so much like the stupid, stupid idiotic German design on many of their cars (even Rover 75's got it). I had both an Audi A4 and even worse a B5.5 Passat. The Passat gave me no end of grief with stinking leaking double bulkhead mayhem.

In the US VW were forced to admit it was dangerous after a brake servo seized because it was full of water. In the UK eventually they gave in. The fix. A ****ing clear out of the debris and such in the drain. Exactly what knowledgeable owners had been doing two or three times a year.
Please don't tell me the 159 is the same.. if it is I maybe moving on from it soon :(

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has experimented with a gauze dome as a filter over the bulkhead drains?
It will not stop leaves and debris collecting in the bulkhead but it may stop them getting in and blocking the drainage channels.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am wondering if anyone has experimented with a gauze dome as a filter over the bulkhead drains?
It will not stop leaves and debris collecting in the bulkhead but it may stop them getting in and blocking the drainage channels.
I think that would work for longer. I'm assuming now it is like that I had in that God forsaken Passat. It will last longer until the leaves build up and cover the dome.
I was genuinely petrified of parking my car under a bloody tree in Autumn.
POS. :(

·
Registered
2,559 Posts

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
The bulkhead drains being blocked has occurred on nearly all the cars I've owned. Once on the Vectra flooding the passenger footwell when it came in through the pollen filter.

A bottle brush is your friend, a couple of times a years give the scuttles a good rogering with hot soapy water.:biglaugh:

Some of my cars had the drains emptying into the engine bay, they were easier to clean.

Our present fleet have very small holes, about 1/4 inch, so I use some small core electrical cable that has just the right amount of rigidity to clean the holes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is it possible to drill a bigger hole with a hole saw and fit a open grommet? The small slit is worse than useless.
2 min job.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
The slit grommets direct the water, in a fashion, rather than having it splash all over the engines components.

Do the 159 empty into the wheel well?

If you don't like them pull them out and that will leave just the hole, or stuff something down the grommet to keep it open.

But for a couple of minutes work every few weeks is it worth messing?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
also make sure the interior glass is clean. sonax or 3m do a good glass cleaner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts