Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

No, this is not a post about an old Tina Turner tune, my windows do steam up when it is raining and I have the heater on. The carpet on the driver's side gets damp. Anybody got an answer or had this problem? The windscreen is the origional and so shouldn't be leaking. The only thing I can come up with is maybe the heater intake drain is blocked. Possible?

Thanks folks

Oliver :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could also be the heatradiator leaking.Is the steam on your windows kind of greasy?Had this problem in my old 33'er.Or maybe its water coming into the cabin somewhere?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps the door rubbers leaking at the bottom, they don't fit too well on the 155's. I use to get a one off drip from the top of the drivers door, straight onto my leg when it was raining.

The usual test is to get a hosepipe on the car and have a mate sit inside to watch or put talc on suspect areas and see if it gets wet.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW if your heater matrix is leaking it usually comes complete with a sweet smell from the coolant.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Oliver,
Had a similar prob with a Lancia Dedra and a Fiat Tipo, the cause of which turned out to be a leaky Heater Matrix Tap (this part is renewable as a separate item). However you say its the driver's footwell which is damp?. In the Dedra & Tipo it was the passenger footwell which got wet. This is assuming that the 155's heater inlet is on the same (LH) side (Wrinx you probably can confirm this)

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers/Mark.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all.

Thanks for your replies. It is the driver's foot well that gets wet. The heater hoses go in to the heater on the passengers side. No coolant smell. Bottom door rubbers....will start there. Thanks again.

Oliver :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Oliver

Never got round to checking where the matrix is but its usually on the passenger side or in the middle behind the dash somewhere on other cars so we can ruel that out!!

One of the previous owners of Dennis has put some mastic on the join between the sill and lower wing (bottom of the door). Wonder if they had a problem with water ingress??

Another thought, when you open the door look at the piece of rubber that is level/just below the bottom of the windscreen. Its the funny shaped bit, perhaps that is channeling water from the top down??

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Also check where the water pipe to the heater comes through the bulkhead. There is a 'plastic knob' (as the lady on reception told me, blushing) that carries the pipe through the bulhead and this can crack. It easy and cheap to replace.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Chris...
Does this 'knob' carry water thru it, or does it just carry the pipes. If it just carries, does it let the 'elements' in?

Thanks

Oliver :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you got a sunroof? I had a similar problem on my 164 and it was a blocked sunroof drain. (Yeah I know that's got nothing to do with the heater...!)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The 'knob' actually carrys water. Its a junction between two water hoses made of plastic and sited in the bulkhead.

If I get a chance I`ll get a part number but times are a little busy at the mo!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a friend who works on lots of old cars, vintage and the like. one of his biggest problems is with water leaks. He suggests the following.
First offf, doors are not waterproof, they are not supposed to be. The rubber strip on the soor that seats against the window is for clearing rainwater off the window when it is wound down. Water goes down inside the door, that is why there are drain holes in the bottom of the door, make sure they are clear. If you remove the inner door trim you will find a sheet of plastic glued to the door panel. This is actually to keep the water away from the door trim and out of the car. Make sure that this is attaching to the door all the way around except at the bottom. He recommends that you leave the plastic inside the bottom of the door to shed any water back into the door. The rubber seal around the door is to keep out wind. If the plastic sheet is stuck to the inside of the door panel it will let water run down the trim panel and onto the carpet in the footwell. As someone has huggested, use a hose to test but with the door trim panel removed and the plastic sheeting in place. That way you will see where the water is going.
If door speakers have been fittd, make sure they do not penetrate the plastic. If repars are carried out on a door or lock, this plastic is often missing.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Oliver,

the bit I`m on about 'may' be 60575248. Can`t quite be sure and can`t find the bill yet. Want me to keep looking for the bill with the part number on??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Chris!

Sorry for being so long!! Have been REAL busy with a German monster..NO NO NO not a BMW. I'm not insane!!!!

That would be good!! I think I might need a heater valve as well. Will look further..

Oliver

1 - 14 of 14 Posts