Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help on this.

The windows seem to fog up on the inside during winter.Windows are soaking on inside in afternoon for journey home/
Is a lot worse after i return to car after a days work. Im begining to think this is bacause Ive had heater /demister running full in the morning on the way to work and then condensation is building afterwards.
I dont suppose it could be to do with the fact theres no pollen filter would have anything to do with damp air getting pushed through heater into cabin???

Cant find any damp floors to indicate a leak.

Any ideas, thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Its almost certain water is getting into the car somewhere....warm air can hold more moisture so when the heater is on thats fine.After you switch off the air temp cools and the moisture in it will tend to drop out and condense on the windows which are cooler.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have water sitting in the spare tyre well. I'll be drying it out this weekend - hopefully it will make a difference as I find the condensation quite bad as well.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Knackered rubber seals...... Do you have any bottles in yr boot or car?

Do you use the econ mode on the climate?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Agree - water is in there somewhere. Two of my carpets were randomly sodden after the car was left standing for 10 days over Christmas.

Dried them out - condensation gone.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 166s does this in the winter when you start it after a run (even after a few hours) i think its the condensated water in the AC evaporator causing the misting? Quite normal for AC cars?
The bugger is that the AC doesn't kick in for quite a while to clear it when its really cold, cause the ambient temp is too low and triggers the frost sensor.. a really pain.. So i drive the roadie in the winter instead!
Might be this and not a leak?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
It was cold enough here last night - first time in a while we had very light frost. There was frost on the outside and the inside of the windows. The front window cleared quick enough, but was very wet on the inside. The back window hadn't cleared even after over 30 minutes in driving. The 2 back passenger windows were wet for the entire journey to work as well (45 mins).

I'll stick a dehumidifier into the cabin at the weekend and also dry out the tyre well in the boot. I hope that will improve things...

·
Registered
754 Posts
My 166s does this in the winter when you start it after a run (even after a few hours) i think its the condensated water in the AC evaporator causing the misting? Quite normal for AC cars?
The bugger is that the AC doesn't kick in for quite a while to clear it when its really cold, cause the ambient temp is too low and triggers the frost sensor.. a really pain.. So i drive the roadie in the winter instead!
Might be this and not a leak?
I don't think it's normal. Any condensing water in the A/C system should immediately drain to the exterior and not appear inside, whatever the route.

If your car is steamy on start up, there's moisture in the car. Maybe the A/C is faulty but I think the odds are it will be coming from some other gap or leak.

In winter, I get a tiny inverted v shaped mist up on the windscreen passenger side and haven't worked out what its origin is yet.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I had a bottle of water in my boot, cause my sat nav not to work and my windows were always steamed up!

If using econ mode mine windows use to steam up all the time. I drove the car on high temp full for abit to dry it all out. Now I don't need to use the ac all the time :).

Seals are easy to replace.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Sorry for the blond question but does econ mode not exclude the compressor?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,168 Posts
The carpet is made up out of three layers, a felt layer, a black bitumen layer and then the carpet top. When you think you have dried the carpet of water the felt is still wet as water can get trapped under the bitumen as the bitumen goes hard over time and starts to crack allowing water to pass through it.

The carpet in my car was so badly damaged the felt had started to disintegrate and the black bitumen layer broke into small pieces, the picture shows the replacement carpet prior to fitting. The next picture shows were the water had been sitting and had removed the paint from the flooring.

The windows were all ways full of condensation until I found were the water was getting in from, which was from the brake cable grommets. Now no more condensation.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Having it on recirculate at this time of year and car ends up wie Tina Turners steamy windows.
Also IIRC at these low temps the aircon doesn't kick in.

Pomeo

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,168 Posts
See this?

Defrost request
It is activted using the "FRONT" button and manages the air flow rate depending on the temperature of the treated air coming out of the vents designed to demist the windows inside the passenger compartment.

The management of the defrost involves the system functions as described below:

compressor enabled.
air distribution initially to "FLOOR" and then "DEF".
air mixture flap completely open (maximum heat)
Ventilation: the management of the automatic air flow rate depends on the temperature of the treated air.
recirculation: the air intake flap is forced into the dynamic position.
heated rear windscreen management: the heated rear windscreen is activated by the integrated services electronic control unit, in accordance with an operating logic (see DESCRIPTIONS AND OPERATION: Integrated multiservices control unit - 5505).

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
See this?

Defrost request
It is activted using the "FRONT" button and manages the air flow rate depending on the temperature of the treated air coming out of the vents designed to demist the windows inside the passenger compartment.

The management of the defrost involves the system functions as described below:

compressor enabled.
air distribution initially to "FLOOR" and then "DEF".
air mixture flap completely open (maximum heat)
Ventilation: the management of the automatic air flow rate depends on the temperature of the treated air.
recirculation: the air intake flap is forced into the dynamic position.
heated rear windscreen management: the heated rear windscreen is activated by the integrated services electronic control unit, in accordance with an operating logic (see DESCRIPTIONS AND OPERATION: Integrated multiservices control unit - 5505).
:cheese:Is that before of after Go to nearest alfa workshop.
:cheese:

I know that if all working well that's what happens.
I was more thinking of cars wie no aircon and it soon steams up on recirculate.

I think the dryer part attached to the rad is supposed to be changed every two years .Not sure how many owners/drivers have this done.

Pomeo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts