Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate Steam.

I was caught in a retail opportunity environment (supermarket) on Monday and ended buying a PC game. Didn't know I had to download the bl&&dy thing from Steam. I tried to install it only to be told that the 14Gb available on my c drive was insufficient!!! And could I find an option to install to my D drive which had 40Gb free? No. Because it didn't exist. I had to transfer all my steam games to desktop, uninstall steam, reinstall steam on d drive, then move steam games to new installation, which took around 5 hours. Then when I tried to install the new game, guess what? The new games on d drive took up 26Gb leaving me back where I started with not enough room to install the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rant:

I was left with no choice but to delete some steam games (that I bought and paid for) to make room for the new one. The new game is talking around 10 hours to download and if I ever want to play the other games again I'll have to spend god knows how long reinstalling them. Steam is supposed to prevent piracy, but after such an unsatisfactory consumer experience I can understand why anyone in their right mind might want to circumvent such arcane procedures.

All games that have to be installed through steam should come with a health warning - DANGER - THIS GAME WILL SERIOUSLY SHORTEN YOUR LIFE

H

·
0 Posts
Wow. Now I know not to buy it. I love Total War:Rome and was thinking about Empire, but I won't bother now.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
I love Steam. It allows me to go to any computer with Steam installed, log on as myself, and play the games which I own. Which is invaluable if your mates come round to your house and you fancy doing a bit of LAN gaming with them on your backup computer - as they can use their Half Life license instead of yours.
Also means that I don't have to constantly juggle CD's around because anything that's run through Steam doesn't require you to have the CD in the drive to play.

You'll be pleased to know that Empire is also reputed to be bugged to hell and back. Although they might have been fixed by now - definitely make sure it's fully patched before you play though.

N

·
0 Posts
Interesting. But can't help thinking this is a step on the ladder
to subscription based software. ;)

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
get a ps3 :D
I would do, but I want to play quality games on a superior platform.
It'd all be easier no doubt on a console. But it'd also be a much lower quality final experience.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It'd all be easier no doubt on a console. But it'd also be a much lower quality final experience.
+1:thumbs: kiddy toys them consoles

H

·
0 Posts
Interesting. But can't help thinking this is a step on the ladder
to subscription based software. ;)
It won't be so bad when the system is widescale. It would potentially remove my biggest gripe at the moment, which is region encoding.

I don't expect companies to release NTSC games in Europe if they don't think the market is large enough to warrant it, but at least if they were region free then the few of us that do want to play them could get online and source a copy from the States or wherever.

H

·
0 Posts
+1:thumbs: kiddy toys them consoles
Depends entirely what you're after. I use my PC for flight sim and GTR, and strategy games like Total War:Rome, but that's about it.

Sports games and action stuff I find far superior on my 360, especially on the big telly in HD, with surround sound :thumbs:

And I don't have to download endless patches and update my 360.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eventually got ETW up and running, and it looks brill so far. But why can't I just stick the disk in, type in the key code and go? I mean, half a day downloading.....There's a market there.

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Depends entirely what you're after. I use my PC for flight sim and GTR, and strategy games like Total War:Rome, but that's about it.

Sports games and action stuff I find far superior on my 360, especially on the big telly in HD, with surround sound :thumbs:

And I don't have to download endless patches and update my 360.
What would you call a sports game and an action game?

PES and GTA are the first things which come to mind. Both are massively superior on the PC again.

I actually won a 360 with PES on it a while back. Had to sell it on and buy PES on the PC instead, it was so massively disappointing. It was like playing a PES game from 2 years previously on the PC.

V

·
0 Posts
seems ive started something here :eek:

anyway i used to be all for the pc as the best platform for gaming but these days, the graphics and game play are so brilliant on consoles that i dont think there is much in them. anyone who has played COD 4 / 5 in HD will testify to how truly stunning they are.

the ease of use for with a console and and plug and play style gaming is what attracted me and turned me over.

a top spec pc is only top spec for a month or so these days anyway and in 12 months no doubt you'lll have to spend more on a new graphics card to get the best from the games. i know i got sick of having to update the pc so games would run smoothly.

also im not a massive gamer these days anyway i only play for a few hours here and there probably once a week maybe twice if im lucky.
i can see the bennefit of having a top spec pc and spending a shed load of cash on it if your really into it, otherwise for the occasional gamer it seems a console would be better imo

:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've had my PC for about 4 years. It was an AMD Athlon 64+ with 1Gb ram & an Nvidia 6800GT factory overclocked graphics card. At the time it was a little behind the bleeding edge. I upgraded the graphics card at xmas 07 for an ATI X1950 Pro and stuck another 1 Gb of memory in the year before. Graphics still look better than my kids' XBOX 360. And as for the Wii...are they taking the Pii? I can still play the latest games on my 19" LCD monitor which I've had about six years.

Of course consoles have the advantage of being rather more user friendly, and a hell of a lot cheaper. But for versatility, upgradabilty and customisabilty, the PC still has a lot to offer.

H

·
0 Posts
What would you call a sports game and an action game?

PES and GTA are the first things which come to mind. Both are massively superior on the PC again.
I play Madden NFL, which has always been superior on consoles. And all sorts of action games, many of which don't get released on PC :p

To be fair I do use both formats, but I'll not pretend that one is superior tothe other. They've both got their uses. My biggest time waster (other than AO of course) is probably flight simulator on my PC (especially now i've got an incredibly tough and frustrating space shuttle simulator :lol: )

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I play Madden NFL, which has always been superior on consoles. And all sorts of action games, many of which don't get released on PC :p

To be fair I do use both formats, but I'll not pretend that one is superior tothe other. They've both got their uses. My biggest time waster (other than AO of course) is probably flight simulator on my PC (especially now i've got an incredibly tough and frustrating space shuttle simulator :lol: )
I don't suppose you'd be interested in train simulator:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts