Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered my MiTo 22nd Feb, just before the red 11 event ended. This is where the fun started, the dealer wouldn’t take anything off the price of the car, it was also quite a challenge to get things thrown in for free (in the end, I got parking sensors for free when I kept asking about the 2011 model). As part of the red 11 event, I could choose between a number of fun things (bike, ipod, and other stuff that you’ll already know about), the downside is “because of the way we’ve financed the car, I can’t give you the red11 stuff, you’ll have to pay £100 for it because that's what it costs us”… pass I thought. A week later, I get a letter from Alfa saying “congratulations on choosing the bike, it will be with you within 5 weeks of taking delivery of the car”. So I might be getting something after all, who knows… crazy dealers…

So the car I ordered was:

Mito Cloverleaf – Etna black
Black leather seats (with black interior)
Visibility pack
Sports pedals
Dual zone climate control
Folding mirrors
And parking sensors chucked in for free

Overall the dealer experience was a mixed bag (but mostly good), I had to chase them for answers to things and got all the excuses about why they hadn’t called (“I left a voicemail, did you not get it?”) but going in and talking to them face to face got results and perfect customer service, they seemed very keen to answer any questions and sort things out. When the time came to do the handover, I was told to give myself an hour for us to go through everything… after 2.5 hours, everything was sorted and I was on my way to work (grovelling to my boss when I got in, but he was happy after he got shown around the car ;) he now wants one!).

Julian (SGT in Taplow) took me through the paperwork in about 30 minutes then took me outside to see the car. We spent a good deal of time walking round it looking at the paintwork, under the bonnet and checking everything inside was tip top. The first thing he did once we got inside was pair my phone to blue & me and he literally showed me every single button and option in the car. Showing me how the automatic wipers work, how to do voice dialing (it failed miserably though! none of us could get it to work properly. I turned the voice volume up at home and it seemed to work better), etc. We went for a little drive to make sure I’m happy with it, he showed me how to use stop start etc.

Overall, I’m VERY impressed with the handover experience. I’m not sure if that much time is normally spent showing the customers every nook and cranny of the car but it was a nice change to handovers I’ve had with Suzuki and Citroen where they spent 10 minutes doing the paperwork and then said “here’s the keys, there’s the car, enjoy”

Now, build quality. After just over 1000 miles, I’ve not had anything fall off, no warning lights, no AA van ;). I did pre-emptively create a list ready for things that are wrong with the car, after 2 weeks I only have 2 things on that list:

Something is loose in the boot door, I can hear something rolling from the bottom to the top of it when I open the boot.
Driver’s floor mat is wearing badly.

I’ve not talked to the dealer about them yet but will do in a few weeks (waiting for something else to be added to the list first ;) )

Not much more to say on build quality, everything is fine :)

Common issues that everyone seems to be complaining about are the gearbox, stonechips, stop-start and ipod connectivity….

The gearbox is notchy, but nowhere near as notchy as the Celica that I’ve come from, I’ve had it refuse to go into reverse once, but that was most likely me trying to rush it after stalling and making a mess of reversing into my drive (with people watching! Grr :p ) and quickly releasing the clutch with it in neutral and trying reverse again fixed it, seems normal (had the same issue sometimes on the Celica)
I’ve not got any stonechips yet, but early days (bug splatter on the other hand! Ugh)

I’m loving stop start! Bare in mind that I’ve got a manual, not TCT, its working well. I have had a few funny looks from pedestrians when I roll up to lights and stick it in neutral before I’ve fully stopped, but it always starts quickly (most of the time before the clutch has fully reached the floor) and it has never made me slower than others off the line at lights.

iPod/iPhone connectivity. There have been a few things floating around the forum so I’m going to add to it :p My car was built in April but is not a facelift model (no cruise control). I randomly plugged my iPhone 4 into the usb port to charge it the other day and it started playing music. I do not have the iPod adaptor accessory and I am able to select album/artist/playlist etc via the dashboard and control the music (next / prev) via the steering wheel. Works perfectly, no issues. Also resumes where it left off when I plug it in next (I always start the engine before plugging it in).

Overall, smashing car, loving the grip it has on the twisty B roads and enjoying the lively back end through the tighter bumpy corners :) Only downside is the turbo runs out of puff too early :p but that can be fixed :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick, I'm sure you'll love it :) It puts a smile on my face everytime I get into it! I've also had people give me the thumbs up when stopped at lights etc, that puts a grin on my face for the rest of the day :D

SpeakForYou: I'm undecided what to do with the floor mats at the moment. I'm not sure I like the idea of having rubber mats because I think it might take away from the quality of the rest of the interior? Can you get tailored rubber mats that fit the floor shape?

Does anyone have the £70 MiTo branded mats? Is the quality / durability what you expect?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Glad your enjoying your QV Tux.
In regards to the mats, I have the official Mito mats with the red stitching and after probably about 6 months, they still look like new; good quality and nice and thick. I was a little disappointed when I first got them, because I thought the edging of the mats were red also as it appears in some of the pics, but they still look good with the red Mito logo and the subtle red stitching. Shop around though, cus I got mine for £65. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your Mito tux.
Do the new MiTo's come with cruise control as standard. Confused as dealer has said they don't but alfaromeo.co.uk says they do. Help? Had a look else where on here but cannot find anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine didn't come with cruse control because I ordered before the model got refreshed

I took it easy in the scence that I wasn't used to how the car handled, but apart from that I drove it normally

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow. If you are waiting for one, you are in for a treat. This car is immense. I cannot stop staring at it, and to drive is unbelievably good. I've been very careful so far, but the noise of the engine at low revs is close to nirvana. One very happy customer.
P.S.: Anyone know how to turn off the sidelights?! :D

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
do you mean the day running lights? (the small ones at the top of the light unit) press the menu button, (the one in the small panel by the drivers door), then you can scroll through until you find drls, then select off, you can also see the radio station you have on the trip computer by selecting 'radio repetition 'on' its quite cool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.