Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys and girls

My twinny is struggling to heat up in this freezing weather, still runs fine and always starts first time with no hesitation.

As i use it for work, its mainly sat at 80-ish mph on the motorway but the temp gauge is barely off the bottom of the dial. Have tried my V6 (when it was still working!) and this heated up no problems and sat at 70 or so degrees even when it was pushing 100+ (naughty, i know :eek:)

So then, my guess is a f***ed Thermostat. am i right for once or is it something else? :)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'd say so. Some gauges, like the one on mine, hover above 80-ish even with a new stat but if it's barely moving off the bottom of the dial then most probably it's the stat.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Mines doing the same, if u leave the car on tickover the guage should come right up to 100 ish and then the fan cuts in, if that happens it shows the guage is reading and therefore the stat is gone, getting mine replaced next week.

·
63,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought so :thumbs:

damn, im good :lol:

like i said, it runs fine but why does one run at 70+ degrees but one is showing 50 at best :rolleyes:
and yes, when its sat in traffic it does get up to temp and fan cuts in :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd definitely go with a new stat - they seem to be a very unreliable part on the GTV - and don't take too much notice of the gauges, they're not exactly accurate.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
the bad news is the stat is 40 quid!, u have to buy the whole ally housing the stat is an integral part.

·
63,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats alright i kinda knew it was a bit pricey, i changed most of the cooling system on the V6 over the summer!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
the good news is your mpg should improve, cos your running cool the ecu will be setting your mixture rich, so i guess it'll pay for itself quite quickly bearing in mind the insane price of uk fuel!.

·
63,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah, so that will be why i have been struggling to get more than 500 miles from a tank then!

·
63,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gauge has usually been spot on, to an extent. had the car 5 years now and got to know all its little foibles and how the gauge behaves so when the car threw out warm air into the cabin and the gauge was still on cold i thought something was up! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts