Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow MiTo owners! I've had my MiTo since 3rd October, and it has just done over 800 miles. It's the 0.9 TwinAir variant, at QV Line trim...really enjoyed it so far!

However - this morning, it was quite cold, but not as cold as it has been since I've had it, and it wouldn't start. Well, it would start, but as soon as it did after about a second it cut out and came up with, "Start & Stop Unavailable". It had done this before, but I tried it again and it was fine, but this morning it wasn't having it. I had to run with my sister to take her school (!) then got back and tried again, same deal. In order to keep it going, I had to keep my foot down on the accelerator and that kept it going.

My question is, is this a common problem? Should I be worried...? Is there something I can do to not let it do this in the future? Surely a brand new car, that was straight from Italy in September, shouldn't be doing this? I am going to Alfa Romeo to have a spare key coded for the car (my dealer said Alfa lost the key when they took delivery, and it has taken this long to get a replacement sent over that I now have to drive 52 miles to be coded - but that's another story) so I might as well mention it then, I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar? A quick Google shows that a few people have had it but it seems to have cleared itself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have same car different trim, had mine since September its got 1400 miles on the clock. I've not had any issues so far with starting. The stop start has become unavailable when sat in a traffic jam once but I'm not concerned with that beacuse it does the same in my wifes Fiat 500.

I would take it back to the garage if it continues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is this a common problem?: Not that I know of, my TA fires up first time every time

Should I be worried...?: Of course you should, your car doesn't work!

Is there something I can do to not let it do this in the future?: Give it to Alfa to fix you gave them a lot of money for a car that should works.

Surely a brand new car, that was straight from Italy in September, shouldn't be doing this?: A new car from any country shouldn't be doing this.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar?: I've had my QV Line TA since May covered 4k miles and its not missed a beat

Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I spoke to soon!

Car failed to start 4 times yesterday, same issue with stop start unavailable. It worked 5th attempt with a little gas applied.

I'm not concerned there's a fault at this point because the car had been stood for 2 days in torrential rain and temperature was lowest it's been since I've had the car.

I think the damp had got at the electrics, car was fine rest of the day and started fist time this morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to soon!

Car failed to start 4 times yesterday, same issue with stop start unavailable. It worked 5th attempt with a little gas applied.

I'm not concerned there's a fault at this point because the car had been stood for 2 days in torrential rain and temperature was lowest it's been since I've had the car.

I think the damp had got at the electrics, car was fine rest of the day and started fist time this morning.
Well I'm at the dealership now as I type this and they're having a look so I'll let you know what they say about mine!

I'm gonna have to rant here though, when my car was delivered I was told that Alfa Romeo had lost the spare key, and I was only told this when the car had been delivered...over a month later, the dealership finally sends me a black spare key, saying I need to go and have it programmed. Urgh, brilliant, I thought, as my closest Alfa place is 24 miles away. So I was booked in last week, took my keys, they managed to programme the new one but my old key lost its programming and they can only be programmed once. Brilliant, nothing better than a wasted 48 mile round trip.

So they ordered a new key for today, and now they've told me that it hasn't even been delivered...they're trying to sort something now but this is just absolutely ridiculous, the amount of effort over a damn spare key and all the miles I've clocked up here is just...I can't believe it.

If they tell me that I've got to come back then someone is getting an earful, unfortunately.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i would ask for some form of compensation for time and expense!

Please do let me know what they say about the starting issue, mines been ok since though but ours could of been built similar time so be good to know if there is a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would ask for some form of compensation for time and expense!

Please do let me know what they say about the starting issue, mines been ok since though but ours could of been built similar time so be good to know if there is a manufacturing defect.
Yes, I have to go back as they hadn't received it, but they said that they will try and sort out some sort of compensation.

As for the starting problem, they said that it hadn't reported any errors so there was nothing they could look at as it could be a variety of things, they just said to keep an eye on it...I have read about it from numerous places, so it sounds like it's quite common to me. Doesn't make it normal though!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts