Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I am on my last bottle of beer and my brain is mush!

Can anyone help!!!!!!

Car. - 1996 Gtv phase one 2.0 TS (lovely car)

Ok the story, not so long ago my starter toro decided to play up, sticky etc. so armed with large long bar, proceeded to smack ten bells out of it each time I wanted to start it.. All good so far, can cope with that.

Then one cold miserable morning I got into the car, turned n the ignition to expect the dreaded 'click' meaning a good welt With the bar when she started to turn over, but very slowly. So slowley it would not start. She turned over around three times then nothing. Assuming I drained the battery I got in the Picasso "cough!" and drove to work.

Thinking logically I brought a new (second hand starter from eBay) and after reading what a nightmare job it was....... And it was....... I changed the unit over. Bruised, swearing and in need of a beer I turned the engine over and it turned as though it was half normal speed. Spending the next few days I checked every contact in the car, cleaning as I go but still half normal revolutions. Flattening the battery again, my friend nipped round with a booster pack. Once connected it turned her over nice and quickly but she won't start!!!! No spark!

The car has sat without battery for around a week, the 'key' light goes off as it should, but putting it back on a battery just turns at half speed.

Help? Please? I love her but will be taking a petrol can and lighter to her soon. It will be a mercy killing.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Do you have another battery you can try in it. Gtv's are very sensitive to battery condition.

Have you checked the alternator is working OK too??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, thanks for the response, if im honest no, i havnt tried a new battery. the battery was removed and charged for a week then connected to the leads in the car via jump leads.

Someone has told me that there may be a fault with the main red feed from the back of the car to the front, but i have checked both front and rear (as far as i dare go without removing the interior) and all seems ok. I cant imagine that any damge can happen within the car?

the fault definatly seems to be battery/starter related, but now i have had a booster pack on the car the starter motor seems to be ruled out.

The issue i have now is that if i take the starter out of the equasion then im left with a car that turns over well on a booster pack but no spark?

i will try another battery as you advise, as i see that the jump leads dont give a 'full' connection to the battery terminals.

I supppose the next issue will be the ECU (Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!)

have you/anyone had this half turning issue with a starter motor?

Really appreciate your reply

thanks again

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Use the 'search' tab on the black line on the top of the page, you might get a few more ideas from there.

I'd be surprised if it was the live wire but you never know I suppose. You could try a continuity check with a voltmeter and a bit of electrical wire to test it.

I don't think the ECU's normally give trouble but I could be wrong. If it turned out to be the problem you could probably get one from Autolusso for not a massive amount of money.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That sounds like a knackered battery to me, particularly as it turned over fine with a booster pack. When they go, they go and won't take charge any more. Hope that's what it is as nice and simple :thumbs:

Not sure about it not firing, though...

Also, some jump leads have quite a lot of resistance and the required current doesn't get through so I'd try wiring it direct to the car after charging just to rule that out.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Yes, if the booster pack cranks the engine at normal speed then don't waste any more time with that battery.

Measure the voltage on it.. if it's not 13.nnn volts , more like 11.5v then it's knackered and no amount of charging will solve it.

New battery... try the beast. Lock the car using the plipper, wait a few seconds and then unlock it again. That should flush out any residual silliness from the immobilisor..

Then just start the car as normal. It should start (it may be a tiny bit flooded)..

If not, then are you sure there are really no sparks? Connect an HT lead to an old spark plug and lay that on the cylinder head (the metal bit, not a plastic cover) and watch for a spark while someone cranks the engine.

If the motor turns then it's capable of making a spark so that rules out any "break in the wire" theories.

But I'm guessing a new battery and a quick clean of the plugs is all it needs. Everything else sounds just speculative at the moment.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I will definitely be changing the battery, but I did have the the coil pack out (still connected) and a plug pushed in the end to check for a spark (had an earth tie laying around so earthed the plug to the block and no spark)

You all instill me with confidence it's no the ecu though and for that I am forever grateful :)

Ive had a lot of cars in the past but this one puts a smile on my face every time I get in her and it would be a shame to break it.

Will be trying a new battery and will report back.

Btw I am a newbie to any forum, but if anyone wants to know how to get a stater out of one of these beasts let me know. (done it four consecutive times now and have scars to prove it)

Thanks again, unless anyone else has any ideas? Does resetting the ecu work? Does the ecu smell of burning if it's been nuked by a booster pack? ( you can see I'm still nervous about the ecu lol)

Anyway thanks again for all the guidance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts