Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering...

If left for a few days in sub-zero temps (let's go nuts here... say, -20) will an electric car start more easily than an ICE one? Will the cabin heat up quicker? (how is the cabin heated anyway if there's no engine heat? Erm, via an electric heater?)

Just curious :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I would imagine the battery technology is better than your normal cranking battery and would therefore get the car going quite easily, it doesn't have to crank and engine which initially takes a bit of juice out of its guts.

And I would think the cars have been tested extensively in the extremes of cold and heat.

Electric cabin heating! How else?

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
perfect.

a compelling reason to go electric :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can't charge the batteries much below freezing so a heated garage is a must.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I was visiting a board mill in Sweden a couple of weeks ago and noted the charging points in the car park. In the depths of winter a standard ICE vehicle needs this to help start again after a shift.

I would guess that the bigger batteries in an E car would still be affected but it is normal practice to plug in on parking so it would be ready to go. With the in car apps I'd suggest you could have the cockpit toasty well before you dig it out to drive off.

·
Administrator
46,726 Posts
There was an article on the BBC about the popularity of electric cars in Norway last week. It made a point that some of the people not changing were because their performance in very cold conditions is extremely poor - they stop being able to hold charge I think, so the range goes right down the toilet. ( I might be misconstruing, and it's simply that the amount of electrical devices in use - heater, lights, etc - drains them more quickly.)

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Very progressive in Norway.
Many of those perks are available in California too.

Can't see gov.uk or gouv.fr foregoing tax revenue...

·
Registered
38,691 Posts
I would imagine that the electric motor itself generates a fair bit of heat.

A fan blowing over that and ducted into the cabin should provide a decent heater.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
What PoP said. The modern electric motors used by the like of Tesla
are A/C Induction motors and as such have very high efficiencies of around 90%.

I think most of the loss in these type of car are down to the DC-to-AC convertor. (Invertor).

I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I would imagine the battery technology is better than your normal cranking battery and would therefore get the car going quite easily, it doesn't have to crank and engine which initially takes a bit of juice out of its guts.

And I would think the cars have been tested extensively in the extremes of cold and heat.

Electric cabin heating! How else?
only until the electric motors and batteries heat up.... then they start running the AC to keep the batteries cool....

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for your replies chap, and the link Bazza - interesting stuff :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I was visiting a board mill in Sweden a couple of weeks ago and noted the charging points in the car park. In the depths of winter a standard ICE vehicle needs this to help start again after a shift.

I would guess that the bigger batteries in an E car would still be affected but it is normal practice to plug in on parking so it would be ready to go. With the in car apps I'd suggest you could have the cockpit toasty well before you dig it out to drive off.
Those aren't charging points. Cars in countries/area's with extreme low temperatures have a mains powered block heater to keep the engine warm in winter so that the coolent doesn't freeze and the oil doesn't practically solidify.

Source: Fiancee's parents lived in Yellowknife for a few years and their winter temps go down to -40!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts