Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first message here!

I have a GT 1.9jtdm cloverleaf and love it.
Always been an easy start, then noticed the other week just a couple of times its taken a few turnovers to get it started, normally starts pretty much straight away. Temp has dropped a bit so thought it was just that.

Then the other day, went to start up in the morning, starter motor did a half turn then nothing.
Now, when I turn the key, I can hear a single 'click' noise, then nothing at all.

All electrics are working fine.
Have checked fuses, all appear fine.
Stuck battery on charge, then checked the voltage, shows 12.38 cold.

Any suggestions?

Did run a cable from the negative terminal to an earth just to rule out the engine earth, no difference.

Really hoping its not a starter motor issue as its stuck on a very narrow road and little room to jack it up to get underneath :(

Any ideas appreciated!

Is 12.38 low for a fully charged battery? and if so, wouldn't it still try to turn over the starter motor rather than be nothing other than a single click?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, bought the car year and a half ago, looks like battery is a bit older...
12.38v cold though, isnt that about normal? Thought it would at least turn the starter a bit until it ran out of juice?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
12.38V is VERY low.
12.2V is flat.
12.6V is fully charged (12.7V for an AGM).

Needs charging, which will take a day on a proper charger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea though if the gt has something in place that cuts off the starter motor altogether if voltage is low? I know it has its own peculiarities when it comes to electrics!
Would have thought it would at least attempt to turn the starter motor... Just gets a single click and nothing... All other electrics work fine 😕

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Have you fully charged it yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put it on a quick charger the other day, until it indicated it was fully charged... Made no difference.
Hopefully try jump starting it in a while. See if starter at least tries to turn over, trying to find out if problem starts with battery or something beyond...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Batteries deteriorate and can produce 2 issues. One is the lack of capacity and the other is inability to discharge at high current loading. Quality of battery can make a difference as can working conditions. Cars used for short runs may not be able to fully recharge the battery and sometimes a voltage regulator in the alternator charging to a bit less than 14.0 volts can reduce battery life.

Earthing with jump leads was a good start. Similarly, connecting the battery positive terminal direct to the starter main battery terminal helps as that would show an issue with the positive wiring. That is a less likely issue though, I think. Having the battery tested with an electronic tester gives the most accurate indicator of battery state.

If it is none of these, then it would appear to be the starter motor. They can deteriorate and have a high resistance in the solenoid which then requires a higher current than it should to make it operate. Sometimes they can simply just appear to fail without warning and this may be the case. I'd do the other checks first.

Smart chargers are often better than fast chargers as they charge the plates more completely. Fast chargers may not charge all of the plates properly but that would still indicate a rather poor battery. Nonetheless, it is beginning to look like a starter motor but check the large positive terminals from the alternator to the starter motor and then on to the battery to make sure it is not just oxidation causing a high resistance (and low voltage).

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the battery is at 12.3 it will turn the engine just to slow to start, if it make a click sound when it stops its the brushes was about R320 here in South Africa, probably much cheaper on ebay England

1 - 9 of 9 Posts