Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently restoring a 2000gtv. the problem I'm having when I start the engine when its cold it gives me an excellent swing the car battles to start up but eventually starts.I switch the car off, and I start the car again I just hear a clunk and like a dead swing. I wait about 5 or 10 minutes and then I get a good swing. I think it could be the starter solenoid.
Any ideas of what could be wrong.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Solenoid sounds ok to me, that's the clunk noise you're getting. Problem is probably elsewhere.

Have you checked your battery is ok?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is fine the car battery charges up when idling. Gives a very fast swing when its cold, But on the solenoid where the positive terminal bolts on there is a crack on the plastic probably occured from overtightening. Could the clunck be that the gear is not matching up with the flywheel, when its hot
Once more symtoms are after switching car off and immediatly starting it It gives a clunck on the flywheel and a dead swing.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Do you get a LOOONNGGG swing but eventually takes?
That was a problem I had on my GTV2000, check your distributor connectors and the rotor.
Open it up and see the condition, spray some silicone spray (Spanyard works well, or Q10 or Q20).
Wait a while and see if it still niggles like that, good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the distributor cable that connects the coil (negative side) to distributor I think that when cable was pulling power from the starter.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't understand what you're saying. What is a "dead swing"? Does the engine turn over and not start or just not turn over?

If it's turning over ok but not starting then there's no problem with the starter.

If it's not turning over then the fault isn't with the coil.

One thing that can cause problems with starting is the ignition timing being too far advanced. As you turn the engine over the spark is firing too early so the engine is fighting AGAINST the starter and trying to slow it down. for starting purposes you need the ignition retarded as much as possible so that the main burn is starting as the piston is on its way back down the bore.

If it sounds like this may be happening, try backing off the ignition advance a wee bit and see if that improves things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem is also could be that I'm using a 1750 Distributor and when I retard the distributor for starting purposes it back fires when I REV it up think I should change my distributor

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
to me it sounds like the starter gear. The solenoid is trying to push out the starter ring gear and is struggling, as though the ring gear is sticking somewhere. But first check the starter earth. Any corrosion or looseness here can cause all sorts of problems.
But I agree with MoundDawg....you should explain the problem clearly first: ie. is it turning over but not catching, or, is it not turning cleanly?
AND what the hell IS a dead swing?!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
There shouldn't be any practical difference between a 1750 and a 2000 distributor as far as timing goes. Tht's not to say that there's nothing wrong (ie. faulty) with the distributor you're using though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was the starter armature that was the problem .One of the contacts on the armature where it touches the brushes was burnt. Replaced armature Starter is 100% fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts