Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, another newbie here.
I've got a problem with my 156 2.0l TS, in that it won't start. More than that, it won't crank!

I've done a bit of fault finding:
The Selespeed pump primes when the driver's door is opened
The box shifts to N as it should when starting, and stays there. Means the signal to start is recognised
The Selespeed pumps runs again after this to keep the system primed so that's ok
BUT nothing else happens. There's a click from under the bonnet when the key is turned, but the engine doesn't turn.

From that I reckoned that the starter wasn't engaging or was stuck, so I squirted all the electrical connections I could see with WD40, and gave the starter a good knock with a hammer which often helps, but it didn't make a difference.

The car is never alarmed as the fob button is broken, only ever locked on the key so it doesn't arm. Other than that, I'm a bit out of ideas!

I can see one connection to the starter solenoid towards the top, that seems ok, what other connections are there?
Looks like I can take the starter off from above if I take the inlet manifold off first, is this true?
Anyone else got any tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
are you sure the battery is OK? It takes a lot of current to run the starter, and in this cold weather one of the most common problems is a "flat" battery. It may run the other systems OK but just not start the car. Worth taking it off and charging it if you're not sure of it's condition....

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Possibly a duff starter - the solenoid is engaging (the click), but isn't turning. Also a symptom of a knackered battery though.

Try starting it in 1st with your foot on the brake pedal too. Also check the brake lights are coming on ;)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
I was going to suggest a flat battery as well.

Cranking the engine takes several hundred amps, where as the other parts take no where near as much.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Also check the earth connection on th4e front of the gearbox - ours refused to start when this was only very slightly loose...an eighth of a turn with a 13mm spanner sorted the job!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it's the battery, as when something is touched the car will start straight away.
Cranking speed is good when it does decide to, and I travel at least 70 miles a day on the motorway which gives the battery a good charge.

Brake lights work, so the pedal microswitch is functioning.

I tried running a jumper cable from the battery earth to the gearbox right next to the starter, but that didn't make a difference either

I'm beginning to believe it's an electrical connection however, as to get it started today while my accomplice held the key on I just had to move my hammer near the starter and it burst into life.

What electrical connections are there lurking under the throttlebody or manifold that could be related?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
What electrical connections are there lurking under the throttlebody or manifold that could be related?
All I can think of are the ones that go to the starter. There's a thick main cable to the battery (which also connects to the alternator), and a thin control wire.

IIRC, there's also a braided earth cable between the starter solenoid and its body. That may be loose/corroded...

If you've checked the battery connections are tight and clean, it's probably time to remove the starter to check it over....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts