Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Has anybody help with a high pitched whine when I start the car. Blip the throttle and it briefly increases pitch then diassapears. The noise continues for a while until the car warms up a little. Could be a coincidence that it is just time and not heat that makes it go away. Not sure though.

Anybody with the same or similar prob? Could it be a nisy alternater bearing?

Thanks

Oliver :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Possibly the water pump?

Have you tried sticking your head under the bonnet and trying to track down the rough direction of the sound? May help us help you... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Ah, yes. I have. And it appears to coming from the alternator area. Hard to pin point exactly though.

Oliver :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

A trick I saw my Uncle do is get a long screwdriver, place the tip on suspect parts, then cup your hand around the handle and put it to your ear. This acts as a kind of stethoscope to "hear" which part has died.

Helped me confirm a faulty water pump once.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could it be a slipping belt ???
Try spraying a little WD40 or something on each of the belts and see if the squeeling stops.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
erm.........that would stop the squeel but also stop the belt from running properly....wouldnt it?

You can buy some proper stuff for this but never used it meself so dont know what its called!!

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hmm, the alternator is starting to sound suspicious. However, I`m sure you can wait for a while until it gets louder and easier to locate exactly :)
I get a high pitched whine when I start my car too - usually from the left hand seat because I`m driving to fast :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris

LOL :D My ex-girlfriend used to grip the bottom of her seat when she was in my car!!!

Dunno why wink

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait!!

I've got it!! It was the bloody idler bearing for the A/C alternater belt.

Dirty little b*****d.

Oliver

<small>[ 14.12.2003, 23:15: Message edited by: wrinx ]</small>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts