Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just recently re-fitted my engine after solving a rear main seal problem. Ive now got a funny sounding starter and squeel on startup. Please take a listen (look):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8j_WFNXCr0

Any ideas?

Its a new geared-type starter which worked just fine before removing/replacing the engine. It turned over better and without squeel. It does start, but the turn over noise and then squeel doesnt sound right.

While the engine was out I replaced the main starter cable - it was the standard one but I always thought it a bit short and looked a bit crap attaching to the battery. I inadvertently bought cable one guage/dia. larger than the standard cable. Could my starter be getting too much current leading to the funny noise? can it draw more current than it should? Or could my soldering be too crap and it not getting enough current? (should be compensated by the cable?)

I still have the old cable and can rig it up to test but its a bit of a faff. Otherwise Ive checked the starter bolts, fan belt and but the noise seems to come from the starter. Thinking aloud, pehaps comparing resistance between the two cables might tell something? What voltage should the starter see while cranking?

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Sounds a bit like mine - I have the new "lightweight" version and it definitely sounds different from the old one - a larger cable will provide less resistance so should be better - have you checked the earth straps and did you reinstall the steel gasket. TBH I don't think its something to worry about unless it gets worse

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Sounds like starter motor.

A bigger cable shouldn't cause a change of noise.

Did you remove / refit starter whilst the engine was out?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, to replace the rear main seal, the gearbox, clutch and flywheel, and the starter came off.

The earth strap is a good call Joe. I'll check it tomorrow.

Otherwise you're probably right in that it doesn't matter - it's just annoying to have taken something working perfectly, and "fixing" it worse

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Yes, to replace the rear main seal, the gearbox, clutch and flywheel, and the starter came off.

The earth strap is a good call Joe. I'll check it tomorrow.

Otherwise you're probably right in that it doesn't matter - it's just annoying to have taken something working perfectly, and "fixing" it worse
Could be something to do with the teeth on the flywheel being new and the starter teeth being old, it will probably quieten down as the teeth bed in to each other - did you replace the metal gasket/shim - I'm not sure what its for but its presumably their for a reason.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I too fitted a later starter and thought something was wrong as it sounds different, but it is just that "different". Did you use the correct shouldered bolt as this does locate the starter correctly to the ring gear, with two bolts inserted one way and the other the opposite direction? If the motor was sluggish then I would check the cable, but it does not sound like that so I can't see it being related.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too fitted a later starter and thought something was wrong as it sounds different, but it is just that "different". Did you use the correct shouldered bolt as this does locate the starter correctly to the ring gear, with two bolts inserted one way and the other the opposite direction? If the motor was sluggish then I would check the cable, but it does not sound like that so I can't see it being related.
I only have 2 of the correct shoulder bolts as seem to have lost one. I replaced with a shank bolt but this was also fitted pre engine removal when all was working ok. Which bolts go in which direction? I currently have the lower one facing fowards and the upper 2 backwards. I sounds like I only should have one backwards. would it be the middle one? I did look for a diagram in my various books but didnt find one.

My starter is the opposite of sluggish - Its as if its spinning too fast just before it fires and therefore squeeling.

anyway, thanks for the tips - will have another go tomorrow.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think it was the middle one that has a slightly thicker shank that acts to space the motor correctly to the flywheel, I've seen it sold as a seperate item, and there was one supplied with my new starter.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
The shoulder bolt is the middle one which should face back ... I think..... the others face forward .. again I think....but not sure it actually matters - the shoulder bolt is the important one as its a tight fit and locates the starter correctly

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Does anyone know if the metal gasket performs any function? - it could be a shim but its mighty thin and I cant really see it making any difference

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Does anyone know if the metal gasket performs any function? - it could be a shim but its mighty thin and I cant really see it making any difference
imo
it is there to allow the starter cog to just go in far enough to mate correctly with the flywheel ring gear...no further, no less....so yes it is a shim.
W/o it you could get alignment problems and therefore binding.

note difference with the 1750 engine:
Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - 69 GTV replacement starter binding

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Thanks Dom - makes sense I guess - its probably one of those Alfa engineering things that they were so good at, I'm constantly impressed at how much engineering went into their cars, no wonder they were always in trouble

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, how a drawing makes all the difference. Thanks Dom!

What I thought were shoulder bolts were actually the normal ones. And the real shoulder bolt was sitting in the top of my toolbox for the last 18 months. With that fitted as per the drawing, and the earth strap on the lower bolt ( not incorrectly on the adjacent bellhousing bolt as I had it) all is working fine.

Another problem solved with the help of you all.

Thankyou!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts