Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have recently bought a 1999 GTV v6 Coupe which is great. It has fully service history but has only been driven 3000 miles in the last 3 years. The cam belt was changed at 56000 miles with the tensioner and guide pulleys, but that was in June 2006, the mileage is 64000 now.

But most times when it starts there is a squeal which quickly goes and I don't hear it again until I turn it off and restart again. I have noticed occasionally it doesn't squeal at all maybe 1/10. Somebody I know said on hearing me start the car, that it was the cam belt tensioner, but they didn't look under the bonnet.

Naturally I don't want to risk wrecking my engine but I am hesitant to change it if it doesn't need it, perhaps the only thing to do is take it in to the garage, I have heard the auxiliary belt can make this noise too?

I also noticed that there was some hesitancy once when I had been driving quite fast, this didn't come back again, it seemed electrical or fuel air perhaps.

The thermostat is about to be changed as its stuck full open and runs cold when on the open road, its warmer in town driving but doesn't really get to 90.

Any advice is really welcome.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
sounds like a belt slipping to me (auxilary) or a squealing bearing somewhere but not a engine wreck problem I suspect......hope I'm right. Try some spray on belt dressing which if it is the aux belt will cure squeal for a while at least. The lowish mileage suggests that the belt pulleys should be ok

However as you've gone past the time span for changing the timing belts etc. you are risking serious engine damage regardless of milage but I doubt if the squeal is anything to do with this ( I could be wrong).

Fair enough with the theremostat............it happens :(

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
June 06

i would be a little worried regardless of the mileage. i have a whiring / squeel and it was reduced substancially after i had the cam belts done there are several tensioners it could be one of them

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Just get the belts done, they need doing and it will 99% cure the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi I have recently bought a 1999 GTV v6 Coupe which is great. It has fully service history but has only been driven 3000 miles in the last 3 years. The cam belt was changed at 56000 miles with the tensioner and guide pulleys, but that was in June 2006, the mileage is 64000 now.

But most times when it starts there is a squeal which quickly goes and I don't hear it again until I turn it off and restart again. I have noticed occasionally it doesn't squeal at all maybe 1/10. Somebody I know said on hearing me start the car, that it was the cam belt tensioner, but they didn't look under the bonnet.

Naturally I don't want to risk wrecking my engine but I am hesitant to change it if it doesn't need it, perhaps the only thing to do is take it in to the garage, I have heard the auxiliary belt can make this noise too?

I also noticed that there was some hesitancy once when I had been driving quite fast, this didn't come back again, it seemed electrical or fuel air perhaps.

The thermostat is about to be changed as its stuck full open and runs cold when on the open road, its warmer in town driving but doesn't really get to 90.

Any advice is really welcome.
Thanks for your responses. In fact it turns out to be the starter motor! Took it to some mechanic friends and they all said the same thing, sounds different inside the car like a belt!
However I am going to still take the car in and get the cambelt changed due to it last being changed 5 years ago. Even though its only done 7000 miles, since its better to be safe than sorry. Alfa workshop seem to be the cheapest at £400.00 fixed price all in. Does anybody have experience of this garage? Spoke to Jamie who seemed curteous and knowledgeable.

I got a new thermostat from alfa workshop and fitted it today and it hasn't fully solved my cold running? Its better I can get up to 75 degrees but not 90 on a run. If I leave it idling it will climb to 90, but return to a similar temperature after the fans cut in? I know its cold but that shouldn't affect it that much surely?

Definitely got some hesitancy and flat spots around 4-5000rpm so I guess I am going to have to clean the MAF as some of the threads state.

Again any advice is greatly appreciated.
:)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I dont think the engine should run at 90, that would be the hot tempreture when the fan kicks in and only reached in traffic. I thought about 80c was more like it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have two V6's 2.5 SW and 3.0 Spider, both have had new thermostats and still don't go above 75-80 unless in traffic. I had that hesitancy on the 3.0 and the only thing that cured it was a new MAF.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
It will have either an 83 or an 88 degree stat, as long as its between the "mystery mark" (80) and 90 and it is stable when driving along, then the stat is ok.
If it tends to go much above 90 when on the run, then the rad is probably shot, if it tends to go below the "mystery mark" when on the run, then the stat is probably shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts