Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I am a fresh owner of Giulia Super, 2.0T 200CV.
I would like to deactivate start-stop system forever....
Has anybody tried how to do this?
Thank you....

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,043 Posts
This is something we are working on along with turning the traction control off

My Giulia had a dead battery when I first got it and broke down 3 times, I fitted a Bosch battery from a 159 and the car could see it was a lower power battery and the stop/start stopped working

Now the car has been back to the dealer and the correct battery fitted the stop/start has started working again

Not a permanent fix but it disabled the stop/start on my 2.0 Giulia

Ned

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
thats similar to what i just had, i had a check engine come on for a while, and for the whole time the error showed, the stop/start didnt work

it went away after 45 minutes of being stationary and switched off though, so it wasnt as if it recharged, unless it did recharge on the way home and it was maybe the 5-6 restarts that cleared the error from the ECU eventually (if that makes sense)

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
on the early giulietta's, you could simply disable it via OBD using MES. Giulia might be a bit more complicated though with all the electronics, and of course MES does not support it yet.
on later giulietta's Alfa changed it so the system remembered the last setting.

example giulietta:

Attachments

·
7,043 Posts
on the early giulietta's, you could simply disable it via OBD using MES. Giulia might be a bit more complicated though with all the electronics, and of course MES does not support it yet.
on later giulietta's Alfa changed it so the system remembered the last setting.

example giulietta:
We had to buy the new Witech plus to talk to the Giulia (more money) :curse:

I haven't seen an option in there to turn the start stop off

Ned

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
We had to buy the new Witech plus to talk to the Giulia (more money) :curse:

I haven't seen an option in there to turn the start stop off

Ned
In the giulietta, it was part of the proxy alignment procedure on the bodycomputer......

·
7,043 Posts
wiTECHplus won't get any new updates, as the Alfa brand has been migrated to wiTECH 2.0 (Stelvio isn't even supported on wiTECHplus).
Yes I know but as independent we can't update to Witech 2 until the end of May as I understand it

Works on my Giulia though

Ned

·
Registered
1 Posts
start & stop system Alfa Giulia

Thank you....
Hi
if you find the way, please share with us

I'm truly fed up with such start & stop system (brand new Alfa Giulia )
In my case, it keeps on stopping the engine when (slowly) entering (every day) a roundabout
it's extremely dangerous, I'm always parked in the middle of a 3 lane roundabout where cars are driving quite fast
for the time being, my only solution is a YELLOW MEMO on the main screen
best reg
LT (Italy)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Thank you....
I'd love to be able to permanently turn off the start/stop on my Quadrifoglio like I can on my Mito.

My first attempt , wedging the end of a toothpick up the side of the switch , was a dismal failure.

As another has said, on some cars MES can be used to disable the s/s function. However, the last version of MES, 3.7, has very limited Giulia functionality so that option is, I feel, a year at least away.

Another thought, is that we know that the ECU or some other software unit senses the battery charge and won't allow start/stop to function if the battery is a bit low.

So one might try to kid the software that the battery is low. One might just disconnect a battery sensor wire. I fear though that things aren't that simple as the same sensor signal, I suspect, may be used by software to control the alternator output.

Andy

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts

So one might try to kid the software that the battery is low. One might just disconnect a battery sensor wire. I fear though that things aren't that simple as the same sensor signal, I suspect, may be used by software to control the alternator output.

Andy
As a lot of circuits/software probably work with that information, I doubt that would be a good idea......

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The Electronic Stop Start (ESS) system is controlled by the IBS - intelligent battery sensor (the block connected to one of the battery terminals).
Based on what I gathered from Mopar Tech Authority site a while ago I have copied and added some info below for one of you clever software/electronic geeks to work out how to do it:

The ESS system consists of the following components:
Brake pedal switch
Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS)
Hood ajar switch
Manual On/Off switch

So in theory you could modify the one of the switches to tell the ESS to stay off. It might however show up another error due to everything being linked via CANBUS as the info. also states the ESS system is disabled in case of a malfunction. The driver is informed by a warning indicator illuminating for general failure and, where provided, by the information message and by the icon of system failure.

IBS with Negative Pole:
The IBS is a Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus module that communicates with the BCM . The IBS is used
for monitoring the battery to make sure the ESS system can operate correctly. This information, in conjunction
with other coming information from other vehicle devices/modules, is used to activate or deactivate the ESS
system.
The general principle is that the engine should not be stopped automatically if the battery capacity is not
sufficient to restart it. If during an Autostop cycle, if the battery conditions are questionable when a restart is
needed, the system will restart instead of waiting for other system inputs.
The ESS system is also disabled if a possible IBS fault does not allow the actual battery status to be properly
determined. In this situation, an internal error signal is generated in the BCM.
The ESS system function is primarily managed by the PCM which decides whether to enable or disable the
system.

So likely fix is possibly a change to one of Body Control Unit software codes or else modify the signal/relay status going to the BCM.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,902 Posts
Or the least intrusive, simply automatically press the stop/start button everytime you start. Did the same on my 147 GTA, to automatically disable the ASR each time upon starting, when I installed an LSD. Built a small circuit at the time to do this.
http://home.planet.nl/~jwq/temp_gta/asr_switch_instructions.pdf

edit: in the diagram above, I miss the actual switch to enable/disable the stop/start. I get the impression it mainly covers the "normal" engine start/stop via the steering wheel.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
So if you removed the hood latch activated micro switch from its bracket (Im guessing here) and let it dangle the sop start function would be permanently off? I cant recall if you dont close the hood properly does a warning come up every time you start the car?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I just posted what's on USA mopar. Will have to try fiddling. The circuit does appear incomplete missing ESS switch. Will have to investigate sometime. For now I push the switch and turn it off using a great tool called "trained forefinger memory". This device rarely forgets:D

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
you can lightly brake to halfway and it still brings the car to a full stop and it wont activate Stop/Start

you need years of practice in the medical field though to be able to perform such delicate operations with your feet

1 - 20 of 55 Posts