Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've read about the many issues of the Start/Stop on the Giulietta and having the "correct" AGM battery.
Mine comes on intermittently at best but I'm fine with that.

What I do get though, is probably 1 in every 20 times the system starts the car automatically, it doesn't start the car but instead it just keeps trying to start without success. It's like the engine can't start and the headlights dim as it tries to start each time.
If I put my foot down on the clutch it starts fine, so I don't think the engine is the issue.

I'm guessing it's some sort of sensor that gets muddled and can't decide whether to start the engine or not.
Or perhaps a starter motor issue (although like I say the car starts fine otherwise).

The system is so intermittent anyway I'm inclined to just turn it off completely, but I'm still under a used car warranty (for what that's worth) so interested to know if anyone else has had this and if it's an indicator of a more serious issue.

I would just take it to the garage but like I said the issue is intermittent so them seeing it happen is unlikely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine has not kicked in since August. Don't like the S&S so won't go after it. If you are under warranty maybe you can get a fresh battery out of it anyway...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has not kicked in since August. Don't like the S&S so won't go after it. If you are under warranty maybe you can get a fresh battery out of it anyway...
I meant to say, I had a new battery put in a few months back as it was not coming at all. Not sure if it's the Varta one people recommend though.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Sounds as though the system isn't sure it is in neutral. When the gear position sensor fails S/S won't work as a result. Or at least mine wouldn't, problem was the usual one of the wires breaking, if I'd known I think I could've repaired them with silicone covered wires (in situ to preserve setting) thus saving the cost of a new sensor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm interesting. Reading a bit more about that sensor it does sound like a possibility. I think I'll just leave the S/S off for now but if I ever get an engine warning light or DNA issues I'll know where to look first. I'm not equipped to change the sensor myself and S/S isn't worth paying a garage £200 to fix! Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts