Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what to do if the start engine is failing (sometime it is really dead, nothing happens, then it looks like is has a shortcut somewhere).
Thanx in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does the battery go flat, or does it just not start?

If it starts, does it just die for no reason?

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like either a bad lead/earth or your starter motor (if thats what you mean) is dead.

Check the elctrics first. Another trick is to put the car in gear and just push it forward a bit to get the starter motor moving a little, it may work then. Used to have to do this on an old mini!!!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i had a intermitant starting problem, it was due to a bad relay that worked the fuel pump.
it might be worth a look

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wrinx,the old mini was a pre-engaged starter,it doesnt work on modern cars, :) if it does it get a jump lead and put it on the negative battery pole and connect the other end to the engine somewhere, that will tell you if the earth is broken.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Bonami,

If its happened once it will happen again. It sounds like a 'dead' spot on your starter motor. The next time you hit thisdead spot you will get the same problem. The motor is also likely to get worse and more dead spots will appear. It may last for another 6 months or even more but can you take the risk of being stuck away from home one day?

I think you shouild look into getting a new starter motor soon...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine had a dodgy starter motor sometimes playing dead. The problem was the solenoid that engages the starter also swithces the power like a big relay, the meahanism gets gummed with dried grease gunk and stops moving. Clean it up re lubricate it and clean up the contacts while you're there. should work fine. But try to get the ***** out on a V6

1 - 9 of 9 Posts