Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first car, a 145 Cloverleaf, 10 years ago. Four years later I traded it in for a 147 GTA. Now, I've had "the conversation" with my wife, and am thinking about going Alfa-less for the first time in my adult life.

I've spent the last two years wondering whether the sell the GTA, or whether to keep it forever. I finally made the decision a couple of months ago and sent it off to Autolusso for a mid-life update, intending to keep it. £3k later it's in perfect (mechanical) order, but now it's back in regular use, my fuel bills have doubled and we're spending more than we earn.

So with a heavy heart, I'm now thinking that it's time for a frugal couple of years. I'm not sure I can go through with it, and to her credit, my wife isn't sure she'll let me. It's just a car, but I feel genuinely sad at the thought.

Anyone want to buy a GTA, or got any bright ideas on how to halve the running costs?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
If you sell your GTA you will regret it ( i do :() but its still only a car (a brilliant car though) but if you cant afford it anymore theres no point getting into debt over it. i sold mine after getting in debt over it and it does get easier after a few weeks not driving/seeing/hearing it :lol:

I got a mito QV after my GTA and after a month or 2 of owning it i really like it, much more than i thought i would as i only planned on having it as a 'cheap' car to run while i save up for something else. Tax is only £120 now :cool: uses less petrol :cool: looks good :cool: its still an Alfa :D :cool:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well 20 miles each way is doable by bike (bicycle). Even if you did it 2 or 3 days a week. It depends on your job of course but i've done similar and loved it (though i'm a keen cyclist to start with). Granted it takes planning with clothes (drive on monday with clothes for week, drive on Fri to collect). The health advantage is huge - though you will eat a lot more! Failing that a scooter - done that as well - 100 mpg on our Vespa LX125 and it'll crack 70 (just).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you sell your GTA you will regret it ( i do :() but its still only a car (a brilliant car though) but if you cant afford it anymore theres no point getting into debt over it. i sold mine after getting in debt over it and it does get easier after a few weeks not driving/seeing/hearing it :lol:

I got a mito QV after my GTA and after a month or 2 of owning it i really like it, much more than i thought i would as i only planned on having it as a 'cheap' car to run while i save up for something else. Tax is only £120 now :cool: uses less petrol :cool: looks good :cool: its still an Alfa :D :cool:
I'm wondering whether owning a few older cheaper cars over the next couple of years might be a decent alternative. There are a few cars I'd like to have owned.... Maybe a GTV to start with....?

Well 20 miles each way is doable by bike (bicycle). Even if you did it 2 or 3 days a week. It depends on your job of course but i've done similar and loved it (though i'm a keen cyclist to start with). Granted it takes planning with clothes (drive on monday with clothes for week, drive on Fri to collect). The health advantage is huge - though you will eat a lot more! Failing that a scooter - done that as well - 100 mpg on our Vespa LX125 and it'll crack 70 (just).
It's doable because I've done it a few times. Hadn't considered it from that point of view though. Something to think about - thanks.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Put the beast under a cover until the summer.. buy a Fiat Seicento Sporting (£800) to use for the commute. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
39,589 Posts
Keep the GTA and get yourself a Commuter motorbike.

You can ride a 125 on just a CBT, and they do 100mpg plus.

Arguably safer than a push bike and you don't have to pedal.

·
Administrator
23,085 Posts
Put the beast under a cover until the summer.. buy a Fiat Seicento Sporting (£800) to use for the commute. :)

Ralf S.
Absolutely - SORN it, garage/cover it and by something cheap until finances improve (and they will). You will save enough tax and insurance over a year to pay for the cheapy.

Whilst you are driving the mule you will have a warm feeling that "soon" you will be driving a fantastic car again without the hassle having to save up and buy one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife actually suggested SORNing it for a bit; I'm a bit worried that it needs to be used to keep it working so I'm not sure it's a good idea. We've already got a manky cheap car which I can commute it (with a bag on my head), so that is an option too.

SORN obviously means no tax, but what's the deal with insurance?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
You don't neeeeed to insure it since it's not compulsory but you may want to insure it (and keep it MOT'd) anyway because:

1) When you want to drive it, you only have to tax it (online) and off you go.. :)
2) Someone might nick it
3) Something might fall out of the sky and squash it
4) Local yoofs might set fire to it

If it's on a separate policy you can reduce the cost of insurance by working out what the new mileage is going to be and getting a quote with the reduced mileage figure (since it's only going to do 50% of the mileage it's doing now).

If it's on a multi-car policy, this reduced mileage for the "second car" may also reduce the insurance quote.

If you don't mind leaving it uninsured.. you can insure the Seicento and then when the weather improves phone your insurer and transfer the insurance to the GTA. They'll pro-rate the difference in premium and charge you the extra (plus some extra for their trouble).

In my experience, 6 months on a hack car and 6 months on the GTA will cost the same as a whole year on the GTA.. so my advice would be to insure each one separately (or via multi-car), with their reduced mileages used to lower the premiums. This way both of them are insured at all times for just the small ? extra cost of insuring the cheapest one.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Summer toy

That will double your loss. Not recommended. :lol:

Keep the GTA and get yourself a Commuter motorbike.

You can ride a 125 on just a CBT, and they do 100mpg plus.

Arguably safer than a push bike and you don't have to pedal.
Absolutely - SORN it, garage/cover it and by something cheap until finances improve (and they will). You will save enough tax and insurance over a year to pay for the cheapy.

Whilst you are driving the mule you will have a warm feeling that "soon" you will be driving a fantastic car again without the hassle having to save up and buy one.
All the above (Except Al's :p). Get a cheap runabout, you can if you feel OK with it, not insure it. I tend to leave insurance but don't tax over Winter.

The GTA is such a splendid car and from what I've read from your post, you will be mighty ****ed off if it goes. I think your good lady might too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all for the advice. I started off trying to be sensible, planning to act like a grown up and do the financially sensible thing and sell it; I think you might have talked me round...

It's insured on a multicar policy on a mileage of 4000/year, so I doubt there is much to save if I keep it insured at all. I think it only costs about £300/year.

I suppose if it was SORNed then I wouldn't be tempted to drive it and that would make a big difference. Since getting it back I've driven it everywhere I can because it's running so well, the two years before that it was hardly used.

Neither of us want to sell it. I bought it just after I met my wife, a few months later she used some of her savings to pay off the loan I'd got to buy the car. Divorce is not an option! :inlove:

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I guess you have to ask yourself what it costs you to let it sit there for a sizeable part of the year. I justify my expense of two cars that are just for occasional fun use by that.
Both IMO of my cars are at the bottom of depreciation (one maybe increasing in value) so other than maintenance they cost not alot to 'sit' there, certainly over the Winter.
I think GTA's must be similar in that they are not likely to descend any further into depreciation?

How much would a year of Golf course membership/fees cost or some other pass time? It is (at least for me) a hobby when all said and done.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I'd second getting a 125 commuter bike. Soooo cheap to run. Depreciation is peanuts (motorbikes depreciate at a lower percentage rate than cars, plus they cost naff all to buy), petrol is peanuts (circa 100mpg), tax is £15 a year. Plus, unless you're driving is all empty motorways at 90, you're likely to save time on your commute each way.

and you get to keep the GTA :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,814 Posts
If you've already got another car you can use to commute in, simply stop driving the GTA to work and back and see how much you save in a month. If it takes you from the red to the black, then you're on to a winner. If it doesn't, then you may need to reconsider.

However, I will add that there are some seriously good cars out there that are cheap to run and cost under a grand to buy. Part of the fun is that you don't care half as much, its like driving a hire car every day :)

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
If you've already got another car you can use to commute in, simply stop driving the GTA to work and back and see how much you save in a month. If it takes you from the red to the black, then you're on to a winner. If it doesn't, then you may need to reconsider.

However, I will add that there are some seriously good cars out there that are cheap to run and cost under a grand to buy. Part of the fun is that you don't care half as much, its like driving a hire car every day :)
This. I bought a £500 98 Audi A4 in damn fine condition. It is not the first cheap banger I have had. They are great and as above worry free. :thumbs:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is exactly the plan. The MOT is due in December, so can make a decision before that whether to SORN, sell, or do something else when this months credit card bill arrives.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This. I bought a £500 98 Audi A4 in damn fine condition. It is not the first cheap banger I have had. They are great and as above worry free. :thumbs:
If I have to sell, I'll also sell the current shed and buy something cheap but interesting to run for a few months. Then repeat that until I've crossed some interesting cars off the 'cars I want to have owned' list and we have some more money.

Part of me wants to do that anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts