Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some crappy cone filter bolted directly to the MAF and I can't help but think that it is hurting my MPG (warm air, too close to exhaust,etc.)

So the question is Standard setup, Standard with a K&N element or Cone Filter?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Either shield your cone filter or find a used air box from a breakers, the panel filters are supposed to be good, but beware any that are oiled as it's said this can damage the MAF, Autolusso do a dry type, which I'm looking to fit in the new year

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Its a known fact that light aircraft take off and perform better in cold air the take off run is shorter and they climb faster but the fact is most light aircraft used in the uk are old ( often 20 +years old ) and without the technology of modern cars.The latest light aircraft are a different story fuel injection advanced engine management systems etc but coming back to the point i find it hard to believe the modern Alfa engine is affected by the difference between using a cone filter opossed to the standard airbox,ive used both for years and prefer the cone filter.Tha car sounds better and you can easily change it whereas on say the 156 the rusty screws on the air filter will mean you may end up breaking up the air box to get to the filter also they are subject to water ingress if you drive through deep puddles.Ive an open mind so if anyone can show a cone filter spoils performance please let me know your thoughts.

G

·
0 Posts
I have used this one on both a 2.0TS and on my current V6
Apiro TORQUE Twin Cone Cotton Air Filter - RED
Rated up to 240 bhp lovely sound and seems to improve torque... For optimum cooling I placed it inside the standard airbox with the lid removed obviously. It fits nice and snug. The sound is not as "boy racer" intrussive but still throaty on full load.

I have never, ever had any issues with failed MAf's.... Period.
But then again, I regularly clean my MAF correctly every year as its not a "throw away" item if it gets dirty like many others believe:rolleyes:
As for the "doom mongers" who go on about "over-oiling" a cone filter??? Well why should you when they only cost £29 and last 36,000 miles+? Don't bother, buy a new one!
No problem with taking the risk of over oiling, no dirty MAF and no contaminated air through a broken airbox lid to worry about:thumbs:

A hell of a lot cheaper than a new MAF, new airbox and new filter combo... But that's just me and little old common sense:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I purchased an Apexi filter after spending some time on the old google machine.

It was for an Evo I think, but it fitted to the end Of the existing air pipe and sits snuggly in the original air box, so has a heat shield!

This is a dry filter so no nasty oil, which I had read bad things about.

I drive a 2.4 JTD and it has a nice tone under acceleration, none of that chavtastic crap.

Think I paid £45-£50 for it last year.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have a bmc replacement filter in the standard airbox along with GTA intake pipe, the sound is just right. Not sure of any performance gains , I'd presume they'd be minimal anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys i need some help. recently I've been having a problem with my 156 2.0 ts, I recently fitted an aftermarket cone filter. The car has been running fine without it but recently the injector light comes on and after a few km's of normal driving the car just switches off. Could it be a MAF problem or does it have anything to do with the cone filter.please guys i really need help on this as the car is parked of in fear of it stalling while driving. Any suggestions or diagnosis to the problem? :cry:

D

·
0 Posts
Hi guys i need some help. recently I've been having a problem with my 156 2.0 ts, I recently fitted an aftermarket cone filter. The car has been running fine without it but recently the injector light comes on and after a few km's of normal driving the car just switches off. Could it be a MAF problem or does it have anything to do with the cone filter.please guys i really need help on this as the car is parked of in fear of it stalling while driving. Any suggestions or diagnosis to the problem? :cry:
Unplug the maf and see if theres any difference, if it runs better then your maf has gone.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Nice! Not bad and about the same price as 20 B&H! :)
Might have a dabble with one of those!
How times change! To answer myself and the op, I now run a modified airbox with panel filter in it and it sounds better than ever!! Extra clout? Probably psychological really!
I do run my catch tank breathers into the intake though as I got fed up with the grim fumes! :)

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Unusual for a MAF failure to bring up the engine management warning light (unless it has gone completely or is disconnected).
Your cutting-out problem could be the crank sensor, especially if it will restart again after half an hour (longer if it is very hot). But a failing crank sensor doesn't usually bring the light on either... the ECU just thinks the engine isn't turning over any more so shuts fuel & ignition off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts