Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted, in good condition.
Stupidly I binned mine in favour of a Wizard but with the manifolds it is hilariously loud inside so need to downgrade for my sanity!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Guessing you've got stainless manifolds now?

My car with just a Supersprint backbox isn't loud enough for my liking but I'm yet to go stainless manifolds on my CF3 car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I will probably sell the wizard but only once I have a car that isn’t rattling my brains. I can’t believe two cars can sound so different (my last cf2 had a wizard but not catted manifolds and sounded completely different)
If you go the manifolds route then it will get noisier up front, i also get a vibration through my left foot too.
On the motorway at 70 it is fine but thats only a small part of my driving.
Anyway, still kicking myself I binned a perfectly good exhaust

·
Registered
991 Posts
What manifolds did you go for in the end?

Think the rattle is normal?! Doesn't seem like it should be that drastic a change...

Going to be interesting when I do it as maybe I'm used to it but a Supersprint cat back is very normal sounding without too much drama.

I'll have to dig out pictures of my old CF2 car, I don't remember it sounding too fruity. Might have been stock...

·
Vendor
46,413 Posts
Yes, I will probably sell the wizard but only once I have a car that isn’t rattling my brains. I can’t believe two cars can sound so different (my last cf2 had a wizard but not catted manifolds and sounded completely different)
If you go the manifolds route then it will get noisier up front, i also get a vibration through my left foot too.
On the motorway at 70 it is fine but thats only a small part of my driving.
Anyway, still kicking myself I binned a perfectly good exhaust
The CF2 has a big silenced centre cat, the CF2 has two small metallic twin cats which don't do as much volume reduction, that is why there is a big difference in volume between an original CF2 model and a CF3 model with decat manifolds fitted. Is your centre section silenced or also straight-through? If its straight through, we could add a silencer there to take the edge off. That would basically take it to a similar spec to your old CF2.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Pud, mine has the extra silencer but it is still really very ‘boomy’. most of the unpleasant noise is inside but outside it is still a bit antisocial.
I wonder if it is possible to make a centre pipe with a bigger/more effective silencer as it appears to me that the unpleasant noise comes from the boot area?
Or perhaps a backbox with more sound deadening, a more expensive route but I could sell on the original to offset the cost.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Cloverbreakers have a stainless backbox at the moment on their Facebook shop if that helps. For a V6 car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Does your setup make that "zing" noise that lots like but I personally don't?

Scorpion used to make exhausts for BMW that made a semi similar noise but that was partly due to the stuffing being blown out the insides either on purpose or via poor design. I had such an exhaust on a car and had to get a Powerflow one to shut it the hell up.

·
Vendor
46,413 Posts
Hi Pud, mine has the extra silencer but it is still really very ‘boomy’. most of the unpleasant noise is inside but outside it is still a bit antisocial.
I wonder if it is possible to make a centre pipe with a bigger/more effective silencer as it appears to me that the unpleasant noise comes from the boot area?
Or perhaps a backbox with more sound deadening, a more expensive route but I could sell on the original to offset the cost.
Thoughts?
Are you absolutely sure there are no blows anywhere? Have you visually checked that the centre cats haven't dropped their insides? What downpipes are you using and are they in a decent condition? There's really not much room on the centre section for a bigger silencer, in place of the centre cats was always a better location but its a hassle to fabricate there because of the lambda sensors and that Alfa also used the centre cats as the collector for the two secondaries.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes I recently got the bit between the mid cat and the manifold replaced, fairly expensive for both but mine were possibly the original ones :oops:

To be honest I preferred the car when they were blowing as it sounded fairly meaty, too refined now!!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's got a drone on the inside that gives me a headache (no zing as such). Tried laying bitumen sound deadening in the wheel well and filling the boot with packing stuff but makes little difference, brother suggested whipping the entire boot interior out and laying sound deadening over the wheel arches... Will think about that one, lot of work for possibly no gains.
I passed him a couple of times on the motorway going up the revs and he said it didn't sound that loud from the outside but I feel it is a bit. At 70 it is ok inside though
The power is all there, feels lots stronger throughout the range so a blocked or knackered cat isn't on my radar at the mo but I will check for leaks, that would increase the volume!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts