Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
scary stuff, well not too bad, cruising at about 80mph engine just dies, pulled over and restarted first time, it had also done it earlier today and yesterday ( though on local roads)

I suspect this is all linked to the fact that the injector warning light comes on when engine is cold and under light throttle, resulting in power loss, reaply throttle and power returns

Any ideas/ suggestions well appreciated,

I thought it may be throttle control switch, but dont see how it would cut the engine completely.

I`m scared and worried

Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DOH!!!

1997 P 2.0ts 58,000 miles on it, recently serviced but due the major one, (variator, plugs etc) in about another 3-4000

Hope you can help

Pete

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the first part sounds like the TDC sensor,,but the second part sounds like the water temp sensor.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have been looking into this TDC sensor thing (top dead centre???) easy to replace? how certain do you think that is,

I`m just trying to work out if its worth trying it all myself or if I`l be chasing gremlins for ages.

Provisionally got it booked in at Westune for tues am, having spoken to them just scrathed their heads which tends to mean lots of expense

One good thing the code light came on so should have something stored to have a look at

Thanks for the help so far, and thanks for any more i get

Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bloody hell, i keep replying to my own posts!!

Have just picked up water temp sensor from Alfa dealer£21!!!!!!!!! [email protected]¬@81S!!! oh well, i need my car and they had the part

Have read millions of posts today and this little blighter seems to be the bit that goes regularly.
Think this may sort the eratic problems. As all i read links to cold weather, which does make mine worse.

just realised this is turning into more of a diary

As for the engine dying when cruising, will just have to see how it goes.

JimmyBob, what does changing the TDC sensor involve? cam locks etc, can i do variator and belts at the same time or do i just throw it at the garage and empty all bank accounts?

Thanks
Pete

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimmy BOB HELP

Right then.......... more reading done

Got part7762300 "Sending unit" it looks like Wrinx got the "sending unit" for the V6 which was the wrong one

Reading this thread
http://216.73.108.51/forum/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000510;p=2
you say that 7738223 is the right part?

My chasis no ZAR16700000139065
does this still apply?

The part i have is a hunk of brass with 2 x spade connectors at 90degrees to each other.

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the right one, it should look the same as the one you have but possible a different colour.

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooops, just read the whole thread again and it sounds like you've got the guage sender, it should have an injector type connector, gotta go now but I'll look later if JB doesn't do it for ya wink

wrinx

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers, you mean that 7738223 is the right one, same thing as the one i have but different colour plastic ring on it?

the one i have is definately wrong?

and what is the right name for this water temp sensor?

Thanks

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the mind boggles!!!

i replied before you replied to your own

This forum is amazing..... helpful.... love it

sods law says that even when i get the part it wont turn out to be that!!

Pete

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok you need 7738223 £22.50+vat(water temp sensor)
you dont need any special tools to do the TDC sensor just an allen key i think.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the TDC sensor is 46411135 £66.24

now then there is another,,the crank angle sensor ive had both fail at one time or another the other one is ..60811201 £98.07.

i would go for the first if any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts