Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprisingly, there are no threads about this subject. So I have some heavy scratches and the bumpers need a bit of straightening on a wheel. But can anyone recommend a place?
Ta

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,848 Posts
There is a place in Chichester marina, does boat stuff mainly, I need to get my rear bumper to him. He dosent know he does car stuff yet!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've emailed two likely places:

One in Wembley, chrome, metal polishing, copper bronze, brass bronze, stainless steel polishing, aluminium plating, car restoration, triple plating, bumper plating,-Colonnade Metal Finishers

One in Oxfordshire, Metal polishing in Oxfordshire -- AK MOTO

Do you remember the name of the place in Chicester?
The wembley one has come up on a few searches with other marques of car, and some PistonHeads threads.

Is it these guys ?
https://www.solentengineering.co.uk/services/mechanical-polishing/

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Why not buy a polishing kit? most motorcycle shops sell them, several mops and compounds, around 20 quid? If you have a decent drill you can do a good job yourself? Did my rear bumper a few years ago and it came up a treat..

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,848 Posts
No its not, and I didnt even know of these people, but they look perfect! I'll go and see them, find out what they can do. Wont be 'till next week though.

Rod, if the SS is scratched you wont polish them out, it needs pro polishing. I had a 'go' at my front bumpers, using wet/dry with oil on scratches and gave up when I saw how little progress I was making.

When I owned a boat I had these type of people repair and polish SS and believe me, it comes out looking new, which is one of the great things with SS.

Reactions: roony

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my first quote back, which seems reasonable, given my estimate of how long it would take me. The scratches are deep, sort of 100um. I will tackle most things, but stainless is just a real headache to work with, so I will have to whimp out on this one.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
lols.. yes it is a messy job... out of interest is it expensive to have them done professionally?

I have my first quote back, which seems reasonable, given my estimate of how long it would take me. The scratches are deep, sort of 100um. I will tackle most things, but stainless is just a real headache to work with, so I will have to whimp out on this one.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a quote for £300 (£360 with VAT), so they must think it is a fair amount of work. I would expect it to be show quality for that price though.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes, professional metal polishing is no longer cheap... It would be great to see the finished article:thumbup::thumbup:

I got a quote for £300 (£360 with VAT), so they must think it is a fair amount of work. I would expect it to be show quality for that price though.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
As luck would have it, today I had to go near Solent Engineering so I dropped in. It looks the ideal place, nothing posh whatsoever, old sheds in a farm! But they are very very busy, that though is what a bloke in overalls said, the boss was not around. He said what they do with deep scratches is to fill them with weld then grind back, which sounds a good way of doing things.

Unless you are in a hurry, its always good to find someone with a lot of work on, means they are good, there was plenty of evidence of this around the place. Give them a call and see what they say.

Finally, I will be taking my bumpers there for sure.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I fancied a bit of necro posting today. What with my GTV6 purchase seeming more like a whispy apparition, and several potential buyers for my Alfetta GT mentioning the scruffy bumpers I have decided to persue pumper polishing again. I've emailed Solent to see if they would be interested in the job. I am expecting £250-300 plus VAT plus postage both ways for each bumper. This is madness right?

PS they emailed back, "too busy". but sent me to a company called WASP metal polishing.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The WASP people have asked me if the bumpers are magnetic, which to my surprise they are weakly magnetic. I checked our kitchen sink, and that is not magnetic. So are my bumpers stainless or not? They look stainless...

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are numerous grades of stainless steel with various compositions. The amount of chromium is a major element to effect properties as well as cost. High chromium non magnetic and high cost.
Low chromium and more ferritic are slightly magnetic and lower cost. Your bumpers are likely to be a ferritic stainless given they are much thicker than a kitchen sink.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Wow! Brilliant, how much may I ask?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
You could PM me? ;)

Reactions: alfahaze

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
They look great, mine have got some minor scrapes and dings which would need sorting prior to polishing, is that part of the service?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts