Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from a 550km trip to a family wedding in the south west. I had it in dynamic mode and sport on the tct for most of the trip. On a few occasions when in 3rd gear behind a road train I gave it a boot full and it started to want to track all over the lane. Not real good next to one of those. It feels like its loosing traction. The only modifications are ragazzon system(Turbo back) and a tuning box. I am thinking the Pirelli tyres may not be upto the job, but it scared the crap out of my wife. Any ideas?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Probably torque steer; I had it in my 2.0 JTDm a couple of times at similar speeds. My front tyres were due a change though. Much better with new boots but as I don’t use D that often it can still be a bit of a surprise.

·
Registered
895 Posts
rachelba
You most definitely need to drive "sporty" in D more often.
Then you'll get accustomed to the torque steer and compensate sub consciously :angel:
I hardly feel it anymore, even though my 150 horses have magically multiplied to 200+. (no questions!)

It's a real ***** on wet roads with autumn leaves......

edit
oops, I have been censored. Please excuse my french....

·
Registered
37,202 Posts
Could be a few things.

Tyre pressures.
Tyres
Tracking.
Worn suspension (Front lower arm rear bushes are a favorite, they split), could also be dampers.
Track rod ends.

It shouldn't torque steer, or at least ours doesn't.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be a few things.

Tyre pressures.
Tyres
Tracking.
Worn suspension (Front lower arm rear bushes are a favorite, they split), could also be dampers.
Track rod ends.

It shouldn't torque steer, or at least ours doesn't.
Thanks, good advice but it has only done 20,000 kms so torque steer may be the cause so will change to Michelin Pilots next time and give that a try as they where brilliant on my GTA.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Worst car I ever experienced torque steer in was a Triumph Acclaim, I too would be surprised if the Guilietta exhibits the same issue. However at the end of this summer after it rained I've had some massive strange spinning up of the front wheels that actually made the car point some strange shapes on the front end. I see you are in Austrailia, was the road wet or could there have been diesel on the road, that would certainly give the same sensation I'm describing? G'day!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Worst car I ever experienced torque steer in was a Triumph Acclaim, I too would be surprised if the Guilietta exhibits the same issue. However at the end of this summer after it rained I've had some massive strange spinning up of the front wheels that actually made the car point some strange shapes on the front end. I see you are in Austrailia, was the road wet or could there have been diesel on the road, that would certainly give the same sensation I'm describing? G'day!
No the road was dry, no diesel or uneven surface. My old 147 GTA never did this and it was highly modified, strange

·
Registered
895 Posts
Torque steer has a lot do do with weight on front wheels (or lack thereof) and power available.
My 150hp Focus was a super example.

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
I experienced a feeling of the car following the camber of the road, towards the kerb, a couple times with the Giulietta. Otherwise a pretty stable car!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
On a few occasions when in 3rd gear behind a road train I gave it a boot full and it started to want to track all over the lane.
The key question is: was the steering dead straight? If you were turning then you could induce torque steer in any reasonably powerful car.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've never had torque steer on my G, however when the tyres get a little bit low on tread in the wet you can get something very close to the same effect. Despite the driver aids it is still very easy to go to understeer in the right conditions but the tyres last a lot longer than they used to on the 147. You could switch off the ESP on that car and what an understeer machine it was on roundabouts!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got home from a 550km trip to a family wedding in the south west. I had it in dynamic mode and sport on the tct for most of the trip. On a few occasions when in 3rd gear behind a road train I gave it a boot full and it started to want to track all over the lane. Not real good next to one of those. It feels like its loosing traction. The only modifications are ragazzon system(Turbo back) and a tuning box. I am thinking the Pirelli tyres may not be upto the job, but it scared the crap out of my wife. Any ideas?
Did you notice any traction control dash light flashing?
I suspect most the causes mentioned would have such a warning come up.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Still thinking about this, torque steer at 50mph? I can't say it wasn't but you normally get it at slow speeds with big throttle inputs, like turning off of a roundabout, more in the 30mph range I would have thought. I wonder if it might be caused by a faulty/dodgy wheel speed sensor on the ABS system although that normally only shows up under braking. I had it on a 147 that was very scary with a damaged sensor.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still thinking about this, torque steer at 50mph? I can't say it wasn't but you normally get it at slow speeds with big throttle inputs, like turning off of a roundabout, more in the 30mph range I would have thought. I wonder if it might be caused by a faulty/dodgy wheel speed sensor on the ABS system although that normally only shows up under braking. I had it on a 147 that was very scary with a damaged sensor.
Its due for service next week will have it checked. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts