Alfa Romeo Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK. Every one has their own routine but below is mine.

Our cars are usually spotless and FYI, my old 156 got chosen to represent the face lift 156's at NAD 2007 and our GT got chosen as the car everyone wanted to take home at an AROC fun concours last year (winning us a free service).

Wheels

I always do the wheels first. Use a separate bucket with wash & wax and warm water in it.

Next, a good hosing then spray with AG's acid free wheel cleaner or their regular acid based stuf if needs must. Agitate with the AG wheel brush or the Sonic Scrubber for the hard to reach bits like the GT's rims or the Brembo callipers. Then use a small sponge on the rest and tyres (Tesco non stick pan cleaners are ideal).

On to the wash

To avoid the swirls, I always pre-treat the car with a 50/50 mix of water and wash & wax, sprayed on with a trigger bottle. Leave for a bit then hose off (I never use a pressure washer).

EDIT I've recently become a Snow Foam convert. Apply via the spray bottle on a pressure washer lance after filling the bottle with a 50/50 SF & water mix. Leave on for no more than 5 minutes and then pressue wash off using the wide fan soft spray setting on the lance.

Once the car is really soaked, I use two Megs grit guard buckets and two decent quality (Tesco finest are great) dual sided wash mitts in warm water mixed with either Zip Wax or AG's conditioner shampoo.

Always ensure the car is kept really wet and dip the mitts often. Also, start at the top and work down. I wash in a straight line too (not circular motions) again to help avoid the swirls.

You can optionally rinse & clay at this stage if your car was really grubby. I do this twice a year (after winter & after summer) and the new Bilt Hamber Autoclay Soft seems to win all the tests for performance & easy of use. Just ensure the surface is wet as this needs to act as a lubricant to allow the clay to glide.

The finish

Finally, after a good rinse, on with the AG Aqua Wax (or Express Wax in 5 litre trade form) but make sure the car is really clean & really wet from the final rinse when you apply and do not go overboard with it.

Dry & shine with a decent quality microfibre cloth. I avoid those flexi blades at all cost because one small beut of grit means disaster:eek:

If you want to be extra particular, finally buff up with a fresh dry microfibre cloth (only really needed if it started to dry before removal).

It's a wax so will only shine, not polish & fill swirls like SRP. It contains Carnuba hence the nice smell:cool:

Wheels & tyres

Once dry, wax & protect the wheels with a suitable wheel sealer such as AG's Alloy Wheel Sealer or Turtle Wax nano protect wheel sealer. Try not to spray on the disks though so spray on a cloth first and then apply. A little goes a long way. Allow to dry then buff off to a shine.

For the tyres, AG's Instant Tyres Shine is excellent, again applied with a very small sponge to avoid getting it on the alloys.

This makes the cleaning of your wheels & tyres much easier next time around:thumbs:

Hey presto, a gleaming ride and with not a lot of effort:D

To note, I polish & wax the car about every three months using a combination of AG SRP (for the Ti), AG UDS (for the GT), EGP as a finish and now the new HD wax as the ultimate shine for shows such as SAD, NAD & MITCAR.

Aqua Wax is perfect for the in between months;)

Hope this is of some interest & of help to you:thumbs:

Cheers,
Only just read this post for a advice for cleaning my new etna black G Sprint - the pre-wash 50-50 spray bottle mix- what wash and wax do you use in this and does it not use a lot of product per wash? (I appreciate you use AG product for the main wash)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Only just read this post for a advice for cleaning my new etna black G Sprint - the pre-wash 50-50 spray bottle mix- what wash and wax do you use in this and does it not use a lot of product per wash? (I appreciate you use AG product for the main wash)
Personally a 50/50 mix of snow foam is way too much. My snow foam lance has a 1ltr bottle and I only need to use roughly 100-200ml of snow foam concentrate and top the rest with water. My foams of choice are OCD Snow Drift or Bilt Hamber Auto-Foam. The Bilt Hamber isn't a high foam product but nothing else cleans like it.

·
Administrator
86,474 Posts
I haven't used it but I've heard good things about 50.Cal Ambush Superfoam & it's supposed to be as near to a "touch less" wash as you can get.

I'm considering getting 50.Cal Combat Neutral Snow Foam though as although both are LSP friendly & neutral the Combat is meant to be milder & more of a maintenance foam which can also be used as a shampoo. Both are available in 5 ltr as well as 500ml :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I haven't used it but I've heard good things about 50.Cal Ambush Superfoam & it's supposed to be as near to a "touch less" wash as you can get.

I'm considering getting 50.Cal Combat Neutral Snow Foam though as although both are LSP friendly & neutral the Combat is meant to be milder & more of a maintenance foam which can also be used as a shampoo. Both are available in 5 ltr as well as 500ml :thumbs:
The .50Cal range of products are excellent I'd definitely recommend you give them a try.
Snow foam is only a pre-wash to remove loose dirt and soften anything more stubborn so you don't scratch or damage your paint in any way when you're physically washing it. The best foam I've ever used is Bilt Hamber Auto-Foam, although it doesn't foam the same way traditional snow foams do.
Another alternative to snow foaming is a citrus pre-wash, these can be applied using a hand sprayer, left for a couple of minutes and then jet washed off.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts