Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Is wash & wax a specific product or is it 25% car shampoo and 25% of a liquid car wax and 50% water? If so, what particular products are you using to make up the solution. Presumably the car wax has to be of the type that doesn't turn to a powder?

Apologies if I'm being a bit thick. :confused:

Gary
It's just a term of common usage. "Car Shampoo" is more accurate.
Yep, just car shampoo like the Turtle Wax Zip Wax or AG car conditioner shampoo. Sounds like a Pantene advert:lol:

A good splash of whatever in a bucket of warm water;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Post #1 edited to reflect some changes in the routine (snow foam being the main one):D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Did both ours today and my neighbour did his C4 with my AG Ultra Deep Shine (a standalone product not requiring EGP after it).

Did the GT with snow foam, AG's bodywork conditioner shampoo and finished it off with the excellent Aquawax.

Not done it since the Mersey meet (not been up to it) so it was minging (almost 1500 miles since then).

Came up really nice but should have spent more time on the wheels. They are a swine to clean:mad:

Both looking good though (and the GT had just done a 90 mile return trip to the Donington Motorsport Museum where the car park is ultra dusty:().

Attachments

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Shiney shiney, Simon:thumbs::cool:

G

·
0 Posts
You think those wheels are tough to clean...try getting the crud out of a set of Campy Turbinas !!! It's enough to make you lose interest in life...anyone with top tips for cleaning these / keeping them brake dust free, I'm all ears.
I second the praise for AG products - especially like their interior cleaner, and the SRP.
Great thread !

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
A few questions Rosso mate. I find that the AG Body Conditioner doesnt soap up much when using the recommended 2 capfulls with a Tesco Mitt. Is this normal or should i use abit more? Also today i wanted to give the bonnets light few scratches a go with the SRP so i did that after drying off. Then though i wanted to wax the car but only have the Aquawax. I decided that i would still give the car a spritz with the Aquawax as after i did it last saturday the car has seemed to stay practically dust and dirt free all week. Obviously though the car was dry when i did this and it worked no problem. Is it ok to do this?
After reading about people using the various detailing sprays such as Zaino Z8 i thought that the aquawax would act in the same fashion.
What are your thoughts on it? Also after using the SRP i can still see the light scratches on the bonnet from a certain angle. Do you think that they mayve been there before the car was Supaguarded and are sealed in or should the SRP get them out if i try again?
Im also considering buying a pot of wax but as its a big outlay im not sure which one to go for. Dodo Juice, AG HD Wax or the Jofs wax mentioned on here which is quite a bit cheaper than the others. How long does your AG HD Wax last approx?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Spent £100 on AG trade products today:eek:

5 litres of Express Wax, Acid free & acid wheel cleaner, Autogloss rinse, bodywork conditioner shampoo and a pump up spray bottle.

GTleigh went halves on most of the products though:cool:

Re. the bodywork conditioner shampoo, bubbles are bad as the break the film of lubricant provided by a good shampoo. A pre-wash will loosen most of the crap so the shampoo helps the wash mitt glide as well as safely removing the left on dirt and adding a film shine / water disperser:D

S

·
0 Posts
Spent £100 on AG trade products today:eek:

5 litres of Express Wax, Acid free & acid wheel cleaner, Autogloss rinse, bodywork conditioner shampoo and a pump up spray bottle.

GTleigh went halves on most of the products though:cool:

Re. the bodywork conditioner shampoo, bubbles are bad as the break the film of lubricant provided by a good shampoo. A pre-wash will loosen most of the crap so the shampoo helps the wash mitt glide as well as safely removing the left on dirt and adding a film shine / water disperser:D
:wow: :wow: :wow:

And I thought I had a cleaning fetish :D:lol:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
:

I did spray the car down 1st as you said. Boy does it hurt your tendons! I only have a little spray bottle like what you spray stuff in the garden with!:lol: I need a snow foam doofer!
Any ideas on my other queries?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nice Thread!!

Can someone please tell me if I can use a clay bar on the plastics of the car, i.e. the rear valance and bumper. I have a few swirls on these as well as the paintwork of the main panels. Is it safe to do this?

Once I have clayed the bonnet etc, do I then have to polish the panels and then follow up with wax or can I just wax? Any help is appreciated as I have just bought my first clay bar and I'm looking forward to starting this tomorrow.

Thanks.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If it's painted you can clay it. You can also clay the glass as well BTW. You would not clay unpainted plastic.

Yes, you should polish after claying and then wax.

Clay simply lifts bonded contaminants. It does not correct swirls or scratches. It prepares the surface for further work.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes, you should polish after claying and then wax.

Clay simply lifts bonded contaminants. It does not correct swirls or scratches. It prepares the surface for further work.
If I want to fix some swirls on my paintwork which product should I use? I have Autoglym Super Resin Polish, will this help conceal the swirls? Or would I be better using something like Meguiars Swirl X?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Well AG SRP will not remove swirls but just mask them as it contains fillers for this purpose.

You could try Swirl X or Scratch X by Meguiars. I presume you are doing it by hand?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Doing it by hand. The car is not too bad but I notice it when the sunlight catches it and honestly believe it could be improved. Would you still recommend Swirl X?

Thanks for the advice.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have never used Swirl X myself. I use the professional range which can also be applied by hand although a machine is by far more effective.

I suggest you look at their (Meguiars) website which has a huge amount of info.

Also, you being in the UK, I highly recommend Cleanyourcar.co.uk

·
Registered
462 Posts
I read this tread a few times last night, it really is great information and I then decided that I would give the 159 a good going over this morning. I was therefore so pleased to find that Halfrauds have a 3 for 2 offer on all cleaning products-I am now well stocked up with Autoglym!
It might be worth a trip to your local branch if you want to save a good few quid.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I'm visiting the AG facility in Letchworth in August for a full day. I WRote to them following the article in Autoitalia and Jim fixed it for me:cool:

61 - 80 of 108 Posts