Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought my GTV and have noticed a high pitched squeel towards the rear of the car. I put my head inside the boot and it was clear it was coming from the section of the boot where the battery is located.

It is similar to when you turn a tv on and you hear that high pitched noise for a few seconds except this lasts until you turn the car off.

Anyone had a similar noise and if so have you managed to cure it?

What causes such a noise?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine makes a bit of a noise like that too... it's pretty quiet though, I don't notice it most of the time... sounds electrical but I don't think anything is wrong as such...

Only thoughts on diagnosing is pulling a few fuses (methodically of course) to see if you can identify the component in question.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine makes some similar noises when low on fuel - never figured out why but it doesn't seem to cause any problem. Never does it when the tank is full.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it like a constent high pitch whine if so you asked a question I was going to ask having only owned a gtv for one month.

Seeing that other people hear it I think it must be the petrol pump.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes its like a really high pitch noise coming from in the boot. Haven't had a look behind the carpets yet but at weekend hope to pin point the noise exactly.

Its not that loud but its constantly there and as I like to hear the engine noise rather than the stereo it really gets on my nerves :mad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well documented on here - fuel pump, prob due to air in system, apparently. Seems to happen to lots of people when they've just picked up the car (incl me)! Still does it occasionally if drive it hard with low fuel, but doesn't last long and hasn't done it for over a year.
Jim

·
Registered
739 Posts
Seems there's quite a few threads on this high-pitched noise issue, just wanted to bump one to ask anyone who has experienced it: does this fuel pump whine/squeal change pitch with the engine revs?

I have a very high pitched whine that's quite noticeable at idle or when driving around town (wind/road noise masks it at speed). It's definitely coming from the boot, and it picks up with the engine speed until it becomes inaudible above about 4000rpm. Seems to happen regardless of fuel level too.

Does that sound like the same thing?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
mine deffinatly sounds like a small heard of willderbeast running through the serengeti for the 1st 20 seconds at start up

then nothing at all after that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts