Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, got the old squeeky suspension on the left side of my car so time for a new pair of upper arms ... I've seen/heard that it is best to change the anti roll bar drop links too, it is best to go for standard OEM versions or can you get uprated version? (I have a Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit setup if that makes any difference)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually (as I appear just to be talking to myself on this thread), I presume that it is the bushes that are causing the "squeeking", so I presume that all I need to do is replace the bushes in the existing upper arms with the power flex versions ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
For the price of that kit you can buy two whole new arms - I have to swap mine yearly so I'd like to know how long the Powerflex bushes would last.

That said, whenever I split the ball joint on the arm I always end up knackering the seal (sh*tty fork style splitter).

For my money, I'll stick with the Alfa arms.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I think I read the powerflex bushes are abit hard. Serves you right really for having more torque than me:ANYWORD: -1- :lol:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The powerflex bushes will out live the balljoint in the top arm, but they can be removed and fited to new arms quite easily, but if you think it's the top arm bushes squeaking then soak then in PTFE spray (GT85) then you'll know for sure, but it could be the top mount bush squeaking, and then you've got a challange.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just changed both my upper wishbones this morning got em both for £37 at that price i dont care if they only last 6 months ill just change em again, at least its stopped that annoying bloody squeak that has been bothering me for weeks

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I read the powerflex bushes are abit hard. Serves you right really for having more torque than me:ANYWORD: -1- :lol:
My ride actually feels quite soft (even though it's not) ... just the magic of the FSDs I suppose ...

The powerflex bushes will out live the balljoint in the top arm, but they can be removed and fited to new arms quite easily, but if you think it's the top arm bushes squeaking then soak then in PTFE spray (GT85) then you'll know for sure, but it could be the top mount bush squeaking, and then you've got a challange.
Thanks Smaky I'll give it a try (if it's the top are bushes then I'll get it booked in then ...)

Just changed both my upper wishbones this morning got em both for £37 at that price i dont care if they only last 6 months ill just change em again, at least its stopped that annoying bloody squeak that has been bothering me for weeks
I was looking for the front end to be tightened up a bit more ... and as they cost pretty much the same for "better"? performance thought it would be worth a try.

In my 7 years of 156 ownership I've only had to change 1 set of upper arms ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

On the picture, I presume that the red circled bits are where the powerflex replacements go, is the blue circled bit the bit you're talking about, or is it what this plugs into?

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 147 has the same problem but it seems that the upper wishbones have been changed as they looks new, so firstly I will focus on anti roll bar drop links. I have enough of this squeak on the front... I have already sprayed all I found there with this greasy thing but it didn't help so I have to start replacing the parts...:( hopefuly I can do it by myself without paying silly money for somebody who can do it for me... :)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
On the picture, I presume that the red circled bits are where the powerflex replacements go, is the blue circled bit the bit you're talking about, or is it what this plugs into?
Right Chris, the red circles are the squeakers and are where the powerflex bushes go, and the blue circle is the ball joint that is the cause of the knocking noises. There is no way of replacing the ball joint so when they fail it's game over for the arm, but the powerflex buses can be removed and fitted to new arm. And here's some pics of how to do them (from last weeks project car).

In the last picture you can see the marks from the other squeaky bush that lives on top of the shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right Chris, the red circles are the squeakers and are where the powerflex bushes go, and the blue circle is the ball joint that is the cause of the knocking noises. There is no way of replacing the ball joint so when they fail it's game over for the arm, but the powerflex buses can be removed and fitted to new arm. And here's some pics of how to do them (from last weeks project car).

In the last picture you can see the marks from the other squeaky bush that lives on top of the shock.
Brilliant ... just what I wanted to know ... now where is that credit card :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't got any bushes for sale, but it's only a 5 minute job to swap them over, and I wouldn't want anything for just doing that.... well just a beer then.
Sorry mis-read your post, it sounded like the arms that were for sale on fleabay were yours (but after re-reading it realised they weren't) ... I'm going to send alternative auto's an email because there prices seem competitive ... although they only list the powerflex bushes as a complete set (lower and upper) rather than just the upper ... but then I suppose I should change all of them at the same time to get full advantage ...

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Sorry mis-read your post, it sounded like the arms that were for sale on fleabay were yours (but after re-reading it realised they weren't) ... I'm going to send alternative auto's an email because there prices seem competitive ... although they only list the powerflex bushes as a complete set (lower and upper) rather than just the upper ... but then I suppose I should change all of them at the same time to get full advantage ...
Alfa Shop sell the powerflex bushes separately - at least they did when I did my Gtv ones :thumbs:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Smaky, was it a noticable difference after fitting the powerflex bushes to the upper wishbones?! Like Chris, I'd like to stiffen up my front end too.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Seriously need to get mine done now :lol:

Sprayed a load of wd40 (fake Asda stuff actually :lol:) over the bushes on the passenger side and it temporarily stopped the squeaks.

I'm assuming you don't need to change the actual arms, just the bushes??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts