Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my new job i have aquired a 30 mile drive to and from work, the route i take is all bumpy B roads, great fun to drive except for a few minor details.

Firstly my 147 makes more noise than your average bag of spanners. Inside when its cold i get a very loud rattling noise from the rear seat catches, oddly enough this goes away once some heat is in the cabin, but when i first set off it sounds like somebody shaking a jar of coins in the back.

Secondly my front and to a much lesser extent my rear suspension is very noisy also, when going down a bumpy road the front emits a constant chirping noise with any medium sized bump it goes over and when i get to the section of my trip thats 10 minutes of speed bumps then the front end starts creaking like a tree in the wind!

Now ive pointed this out to my mechanic who has given everything a coat of white grease but its not helped. As for the rear seats, im at a loss as to what might be happening there. Has anyone had similar issues and managed to sort them out & if so, how?

·
Registered
657 Posts
With my new job i have aquired a 30 mile drive to and from work, the route i take is all bumpy B roads, great fun to drive except for a few minor details.

Firstly my 147 makes more noise than your average bag of spanners. Inside when its cold i get a very loud rattling noise from the rear seat catches, oddly enough this goes away once some heat is in the cabin, but when i first set off it sounds like somebody shaking a jar of coins in the back.

Secondly my front and to a much lesser extent my rear suspension is very noisy also, when going down a bumpy road the front emits a constant chirping noise with any medium sized bump it goes over and when i get to the section of my trip thats 10 minutes of speed bumps then the front end starts creaking like a tree in the wind!

Now ive pointed this out to my mechanic who has given everything a coat of white grease but its not helped. As for the rear seats, im at a loss as to what might be happening there. Has anyone had similar issues and managed to sort them out & if so, how?

Sounds like the wishbones are at the end of their natural life.

30 miles? Sounds a lot. I may have a job offer for 33 motorway miles, but really not sure if I can manage this long term! Are you sure about doing that distance every day??

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
squeaks - upper wishbone bushes knackered - spray them with some silicone spray for a temp fix

rattles - its an alfa

knocking - lower wishbone bushes failed - replace the wishbone (you best off doing uppers at same time along with the drop links) look about £500 for both front sides done. sorry you could always check the bolts are secure on the suspension components, i had one work lose, thing it was the lower droplink bolt, and it knocked like mad.

as for rear rattles, i had similar issue on mine, sounded like rear seat, was actually a damaged rear suspension arm, it had been bashed at some point, about £25 and half an hours labour for that one! it could also be exhaust bracket related as these expand once there warm and therfore would stop any rattling! have a look under the car when its cold.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
What age/mileage is your car??? Ours is '02 and 47,000mls. I recently traced the clatter from the front suspension that's been annoying me through all our two years of ownership to the anti-roll bar links and bushes. There's nothing wrong with any wishbone bushes on our car and the struts are silent. I proved this by disconnecting the anti-roll bar. Can't comment on the noises from the rear, though the suggestion of exhaust may be a good one to follow. I notice cars of the age of ours now have back boxes that look all but forked.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is 2003 and its done just under 35000 miles, im pretty sure the rear rattle is the seats because if i put them forward the rattle doesnt happen, same if somebody is sat in them.

As for the commute, its like 30% B roads 70% A roads, takes an hour, so is perfectly fine as long as im not driven insane from rattles!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had horrendous knocking and squeaking on my 53,000 147. Front suspension arms replaced, and the suspension is perfect.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Sounds like the wishbones are at the end of their natural life.

30 miles? Sounds a lot. I may have a job offer for 33 motorway miles, but really not sure if I can manage this long term! Are you sure about doing that distance every day??
as we say in ireland "ya big girls blouse" :cheese: I do a 165 mile commute for work in a Punto 4 days a week, have been doing it since Aug 2004 (punto had 27000 on it when i bought it-nov04, now has 111000-am getting a diesel Mondeo on Friday), 33 miles on motorways really is nothing, i'm just getting comfy at that stage!:D

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
my 155, all the door panels squeek and so does the dash!

but i told myself its an alfa and a stiff one at that!

the sound from the rear seat could be from any part such as seat belt fasteners, or the locks themselves!

:)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had horrendous knocking and squeaking on my 53,000 147. Front suspension arms replaced, and the suspension is perfect.
Are suspension arms the same as wishbones? Also ive read that the most common faults are drop links and anti roll bar, which are fairly cheap to replace? how easy is it to tell these components are worn? can you tell by looking or does the suspension need to be disassembled?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Upper suspension arms cause the squeeking - although yours doing it at 35k sounds a little premature. Both mine had been replaced by the time I reached 66k in my old 147.

As for the rear seats, just don't leave them in their catches - 'rest' them in the upright position when there's no-one in them, it cures the sound. Okay, not a fix but a workaround, but having had the same in my 147 (and now in the GT) it's an easy thing to do.

If all else fails, turn the stereo up...... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same problem regarding the rear seat but only from one side. I have adjusted the catch that is attached to the body by loosing the 2 Torx bolts and moving it down a fraction. like you it only happens when the car is cold. Not sure if I have fixed it yet as have not been out in the car yet since Monday when I did it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for confirming the problem Gloves, ive tried squirting prodigous amounts of WD40 on said catch and that seemed to help a little bit.

On the suspension side of things i can report that when the roads are wet the creaking and sqeeking goes away and the car rides bumpy roads much better!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup just been for another drive, when the roads are wet the ride is much smoother and quieter!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay i have fixed the rear seat rattle, simply squirted some WD40 on the catches and then wrapped some electrical tape around the metal bars that the catches latch onto, no more clattering from the back. horay!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the same problem as you about the squeaking seats but I cant seem to make them squeak with self movement only in driving and I tried doing what you have done but I only see one large black latch is this what I have to put the electrical tape around. good job by the way

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
squeaking upper wishbone bushes - replace wishbone, squeaks gone - its not uncommon for them to go with that mileage, mine were replaced at about 45,000 but had been noisy for a few thousand before that. also, they have a habit of rusting into place and can be a nightmare to get off, esp if its an indie who will pile on the labour.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts