Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's and Gals the bottom front pulley on my motor is making a hell of a racket which is driving me round the twist. I have tried WD40 and other oils but nothing seems to work and the noise gets louder as the revs increase. I removed the lower plastic inner wing cover to do some welding about a month ago and have not refitted it yet, i am thinking that the pulley has had too much of the elements direct from the wheels hence the squeel. Any ideas gratefully received as my stereo can only go so loud!!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I would suggest spraying water on each pulley in turn , when it goes quiet, you found the right one to replace. The front one is the aircon compressor and my guess is the nasty sounds is a tensioner or idler bearing.

HTH

·
Registered
136 Posts
If it is the multi-rib belt then replacement is the best bet. Or you might try spray-on belt dressing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!! I fitted new auxiliary belt and tensioner last summer. I have sprayed penetrating oil on the pulley whilst the car is running and it goes quiet (process of elimination!!). Turn the engine off and give it a soaking for overnight absorbtion, jump in the car and all is well, 5 minutes later ssqquueeeelllll !!!!!!:cry:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
best to do it while the engine is running (with fingers at a safe distance) as faults can show up differently.

A mates 156 tensioner only squealled when warmed up whereas on my 145 it only squealled when cold, after 2/3 mins it was OK.

If the tensioner was only done last year I would be thinking the aux pulley has gone, thats the upper one that is bolted through the cambelt covers.

HTH

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
best to do it while the engine is running (with fingers at a safe distance) as faults can show up differently.

A mates 156 tensioner only squealled when warmed up whereas on my 145 it only squealled when cold, after 2/3 mins it was OK.

If the tensioner was only done last year I would be thinking the aux pulley has gone, thats the upper one that is bolted through the cambelt covers.

HTH
Think its the crankshaft pulley thats squeeling. really odd, have it jacked up at the moment sprayed pulley with WD40 and it stopped immediately. turned off ignition and left it for a while restarted it and it starts squeling again! sprayed a miniscule amount on pulley again and it stops!!!!!:confused: thinking of removing the crank shaft pulley what do you reckon?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Think its the crankshaft pulley thats squeeling. really odd, have it jacked up at the moment sprayed pulley with WD40 and it stopped immediately. turned off ignition and left it for a while restarted it and it starts squeling again! sprayed a miniscule amount on pulley again and it stops!!!!!:confused: thinking of removing the crank shaft pulley what do you reckon?
It could well be the rubber in that pulley that has worn out. This was suggested to me with a problem I had last which turned out to be something else but you might want to try and get hold of another pulley and try it out. Here's the original post that suggested the crank pulley as being a possible cause...

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-145-and-146/147545-power-steering-pump-removal.html#post2280494

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could well be the rubber in that pulley that has worn out. This was suggested to me with a problem I had last which turned out to be something else but you might want to try and get hold of another pulley and try it out. Here's the original post that suggested the crank pulley as being a possible cause...

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-145-and-146/147545-power-steering-pump-removal.html#post2280494
Cheers GialloEvo Really strange I was looking at you're post re; refitting auxiliary belt and noticed that the crankshaft pulley on your 145 looked different to mine when i enlarged the picture. looks like the rubber has melted when i look inside my pulley which may explain why the squeel stops immediately when lubed. have you ever removed the crankshaft pulley? i can see 4 torx bolts but am wondering if i will need a puller to get it off. :confused:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
have you ever removed the crankshaft pulley? i can see 4 torx bolts but am wondering if i will need a puller to get it off. :confused:
They're 4 ribe headed bolts (not torx) and once the auxiliary belt is off and the 4 bolts are removed just tap the pulley with a soft hammer and it will just fall off. As easy as that :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They're 4 ribe headed bolts (not torx) and once the auxiliary belt is off and the 4 bolts are removed just tap the pulley with a soft hammer and it will just fall off. As easy as that :)
Ribe headed?????? thats a new one on me!! just tried a T50 star bit in them and they seem to fit. Think its definately the rubber but what would cause it to melt? any ideas. cheers for the advice was beginning to think i had tinitis:lol:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Is it the one driving the alternator? Could be that when you are restarting the engine, the alternator is working harder to try to top up the battery charge, which is putting more load on the belt....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it the one driving the alternator? Could be that when you are restarting the engine, the alternator is working harder to try to top up the battery charge, which is putting more load on the belt....
No definately the crankshaft pulley withnice melted rubber inside will get one this week and see how it goes:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
a wise man has the following observation:

If you suggest that it's probably the aux belt tensioner and idler sqeaking then I think you'd be on the money, but if the rubber has gone on the pulley then they knock like hell rather than squeeeeeeeeeeeeel.

If it's making a loud cruching noise whilst squeeeeeeeeeeeeling then I'd suspect the alternator to have failed. Power steering pump squeeeeeeel too when they run dry, but then you need to find the leak. Either way the belt, tensioner and idler need to be replaced.

worth investigating as replacement of the alternator or the power steering pump unnecessarily is very time consuming and therefore expensive.

HTH

keep us posted

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wise words indeed purple:thumbs: am gonna replace crank pulley as it's definately not right compared to others iv looked at, will probably stick a new belt on as well even tho its only about 6 months old. Cheers for advice, food for thought i guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts