Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2009 Mito 155 TB has been squealing from somewhere on the driver’s side more and more frequently. It’s not constant, and my local garage couldn’t find anything that’s causing it.

It starts randomly, usually once I have picked up speed (over 40mph), but then doesn’t stop when I’m at a lower speed.

It stops randomly, and also when turning the wheel (or straightening the wheel if already turned when the squeal starts)applying the brakes medium-hard, like when coming to a slow for a roundabout.

Here’s a short clip where it stops when I turn and when I brake approaching the roundabout :

Any thoughts on where I should point the garage to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
I haven't listened to the video but it could be disc pads especially if they stop when you brake. You may just need to pull them out, add something like Copperslip to the back and put them back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. Last weekend I managed to get the pads out but not the caliper off, so I put copper grease on the back of the pads and sprayed some in the gap behind the disc - still squeals. Today I managed to get the caliper off as well, but couldn't see anything trapped.

Some things I noticed, not sure if they are relevant:
  • I couldn't get the wheel to spin freely for long when jacked up and in neutral, not sure if the caliper is not opening fully. After spinning and releasing it would stop after about a quarter turn.
  • The back of the disc was flaky
  • The clip on the back of one of the pads didn't clip on properly. On the photo it's balanced in place and would fall off if turned upside down. On the other pad it clipped on properly.

Took it for a drive around the block after this and it was still squealing :unsure:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts