Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following on from my last thread has anyone ever repaired a noisy air conditioning clutch?

Mine squeaks at idle with the air conditioning OFF (clutch disengaged). I believe it is a bearing inside the air conditioning clutch.

The car is a 2002 156 2L JTS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be as I just went for a drive and it now seems to come on with the air con on aswell. Interestingly if I squeeze the pipe to the pcv valve the noise stops; I happened to clean this valve out the other day, so I guess further investigation is required.

Of course I suppose as the engine load changes (squeezing pcv, air con) the load on the belt changes and therefore if the tensioner is not working it could cause problems. The old water spray on the belt has not revealed anything as the noise persists unchanged upon application of the water.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turned out that getting rid of the pcv rattle by stretching the spring was not such a smart idea. I have compressed it back and the problem seems to have gone but now that I am listening for the noise I think I am hearing things.

I am so amazed at how much noise a malfunctioning pcv valve can cause and how it resonates right through into the oil sump. I also believe the pcv valve would effect performance at idle and low throttle.

If anyone knows where to get a pcv valve online or the length of that little spring it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts