Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gear stick squeaks when selecting gears, pulled the gaiter open and sprayed wd40 onto the nylon dome at the base of the stick but no different, has anyone fixed this?

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the same problem tried the WD40 method but as you've found out it does'nt work :cry:. Try some silicone spray maybe, been meaning to myself.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Mine does this too, I think whatever is squeaking is on the other side of the tunnel , hidden behind the exhaust and a huge heat sheild type thing.

D

·
0 Posts
mine does it, tried everything but it only does it when i have driven 20 - 30 miles:confused:

D

·
0 Posts
i wont be able to do my squeak as i have a shed load of jobs to do on the gtv this weekend to get it ready for epsom.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gotta say im pleased i checked my wheel bearings the other day, they were dry on the back!, a long motorway run couldve just been the last straw for em.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If it's a TS..Get your head in the engine bay.. behind the clutch slave cylinder..behind and above the gearbox.. you can see the ends of the gear linkage rods.. there are three of them.. they all have joints.. grab a handfull of grease and work it into each of the joints.. wiggling the rods and getting someone to change gear while your doing it.. don't chop your fingers off.. the other end is almost impossible to get to without removing the exhaust and doing it from underneath.. doing the gearbox end has always cured my squeaks..

the above combined with a gear oil change and the box will be as smooth as snake sh*t

·
Registered
834 Posts
If it's a TS..Get your head in the engine bay.. behind the clutch slave cylinder..behind and above the gearbox.. you can see the ends of the gear linkage rods.. there are three of them.. they all have joints.. grab a handfull of grease and work it into each of the joints.. wiggling the rods and getting someone to change gear while your doing it.. don't chop your fingers off.. the other end is almost impossible to get to without removing the exhaust and doing it from underneath.. doing the gearbox end has always cured my squeaks..

the above combined with a gear oil change and the box will be as smooth as snake sh*t
If it ends up being that smooth it must be a good fix :lol: Iwill give it a try - thanks for the detailed response! Would you recommend any particular kind of grease?

·
Registered
515 Posts
If it ends up being that smooth it must be a good fix :lol: Iwill give it a try - thanks for the detailed response! Would you recommend any particular kind of grease?
I had a squeeking stick and solved it by lubricating the joints mentioned. I think there's rubber bushings in the joints, so you should avoid petroleum based lubes. Silicon grease would be correct for rubber and plastics. I was in a hurry and did it the quick way with silicon spray. Did the job, but you'll never know for how long.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Cheers redtop, I have some silicon spray so will try that first and invest in some grease when I get chance.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What did you finally do and what products did you use. I have the same problem.
To be completely honest I never got around to it :rolleyes: BUT somehow the squeak has now cured itself! I think the best option is to lube up the linkages as mentioned above - imagine it will come back to haunt me in the end.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
It's the weather.. it'll squeak again next winter..

slap some white/silicon grease on the linkages.. handfull on each joint and work it in.. spray won't last ten mins... wiggle it about a bit..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts