Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My suspension squeaks when I go over bumps especially large ones like speed bumps. In heavy rain the squeaking goes away so I'm assuming the suspension needs some lubrication. Can I just squirt some penetrating oil around the bushes or will this affect the rubber of the bush in an adverse way? I guess stripping the suspension and applying copper grease would be best but I'd rather not bother doing that.

Does anyone else suffer from squeaky suspension?

Kieran

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
My suspension squeaks when I go over bumps especially large ones like speed bumps. In heavy rain the squeaking goes away so I'm assuming the suspension needs some lubrication. Can I just squirt some penetrating oil around the bushes or will this affect the rubber of the bush in an adverse way? I guess stripping the suspension and applying copper grease would be best but I'd rather not bother doing that.

Does anyone else suffer from squeaky suspension?

Kieran
Yep. I have a large mouse orgy going on near my right wheel.

S

·
0 Posts
I have the same mouse orgy in 156 as well, randy buggers!

I tried lubrication (Fnar Fnar) and the noise does go away for a short while but it will eventually come back.

Mines going in tomorrow for some new wishbones. looking forward to some peace and quiet:thumbs:

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
I have the same mouse orgy in 156 as well, randy buggers!

I tried lubrication (Fnar Fnar) and the noise does go away for a short while but it will eventually come back.

Mines going in tomorrow for some new wishbones. looking forward to some peace and quiet:thumbs:
I had new wishbones 5 days ago. Still squeaking :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only had my 156 an few months but I've looked through the history and it did have new front upper wishbones at the beginning of last year. It's got full service history up to 100k (currently 130k) but I've no bills from that period so I'm not sure what's been replaced previously.

The car seems to drive okay and has decent suspension control overall though the nearside front seems to be more worn than the other side. I'm not sure whether I need new bushes or just some lubrication.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My GT's front squeaks like a good one, diagnosis is the upper front wishbones have excesive play so need replacing. Chances are yours will need replacing as well.

Already bought mine from ebay for £100 a pair - these are genuine alfa items, id avoid the copies they are much cheaper but will not last as long as the genuine items.

James.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another squeaky Alfa 156 here. Front wishbones replaced withing last year, though not sure if upper or lower. I've also heard it could be something to do with the anti-roll bar? I've also got the squeaks coming from the rear. I think it might me the trailing arms but am open to correction/advice?

The squeaks seem to be a 156 trait after a certain age. My mechanic tried WD40 which worked for about 3 days. The suspension works well and the steering is nice and direct. It's just those darn noises!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The main problem with squeaking suspension is the rubbers on top of arms. This is commonly know problem with all AR 156, 147 and GT.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Another squeaky Alfa 156 here. Front wishbones replaced withing last year, though not sure if upper or lower. I've also heard it could be something to do with the anti-roll bar? I've also got the squeaks coming from the rear. I think it might me the trailing arms but am open to correction/advice?

The squeaks seem to be a 156 trait after a certain age. My mechanic tried WD40 which worked for about 3 days. The suspension works well and the steering is nice and direct. It's just those darn noises!!!
Its just soooooooooo embarrassing. :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi all,

Just to add to this, I was convinced I had an issue with the rear suspension on my GTV, though having preciously had new spring pan arms and trailing arms fitted I wasn't sure. Anyway... I recently had a service and the rear discs and pads needed replacing. Since then I haven't heard a peep from the mice. Could some of these noises be related to warped discs touching something they shouldn't? Just a suggestion. The noise on mine sounded like a very high-pitched metallic scraping/screeching.
Cheers.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I had new wishbones 5 days ago. Still squeaking :(

Brand new ones are also known to Squeak ... IIRC SEARs posted a thread on how to fix this by injecting something into them

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
I had new wishbones 5 days ago. Still squeaking :([/QUOT

Well mine has just been to have its new upper wishbones in an effort to get rid of the squeaking noise and i have to say its the best 160 quid I've ever spent! its like a new car, I love it more than ever.
Motor-mech rule.
Give them a ring and they may be able to eliminate your sqeaks

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
I had new wishbones 5 days ago. Still squeaking :([/QUOT

Well mine has just been to have its new upper wishbones in an effort to get rid of the squeaking noise and i have to say its the best 160 quid I've ever spent! its like a new car, I love it more than ever.
Motor-mech rule.
Give them a ring and they may be able to eliminate your sqeaks
I think they either need greasing or to wear in. It passed the mot this morning. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
my 156 sport wagon failed the mot on play in the pin bush upper arm bush replaced them yesterday compleate sod to do in situe had to drop the shock down to gain access then the bolt fouls the spring but an hour and a half later no squeeking no knocking it like a new car if there squeeking there most likely in need of replacment but you will notice the differnce

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys,

I have my 147 since before christmas and have since moved to dublin where the road surface is terrible in lots of places. I now have nightmares about speedbumps and potholes due to the sound that my poor suspension is making.

Slowly go over speedbumps and there is a terrible screech mainly on the front left - I greased the ball joints before christmas but I think that the wishbones may need a replacing.

But there is also a knock when I hit any sort of bump or hollow on the road and feels really lose in the front end in general on poor surface.

Money is a little tight at present but any ideas which is best to get done first? Was told by my mechanic that the front end is "hanging out of her".... wishbones first upper or lower? followed by anti roll bar? cheaper parts or go for full alfa spec ones??

Much appreciated....just wrecking my head at the moment.

doc

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I did a test tonight, I drove up and down through a ford in a local village on the way back home from work tonight, to give the suspension a good soak. The result was a complete loss of all squeaking from the suspension front and rear even when rolling over large speed bumps.

So as a result, I'm not going to replace any bushes or anything for now, just gonna to try and work some oil and grease into the joints in the hope this will give me a more long lasting effect as a lubricant than the water.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts