Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 155 has developed very squeaky front door seals. After a couple of miles, the squeaking is constant and so irritating:mad: I have tried silicone spray on the seals (lasted 10 miles) and also Back to Black and Auto Glym plastic stuff, but still the noise persists. It squeaks like a canary and I don't know if there is a cure other than (it it works), new front door seals.

Help:cry:

·
Registered
19 Posts
mine driver door make that sound too. my case was due to door lock rubbing on the pin. got it adjusted and quiet now.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Yes.. just keep them moist. Mine used to squeak and the noise used to come back fairly soon, even if I lubed them. Gradually the squeak got fainter and stayed away longer. I used tyre wall/bumper care stuff as it seemed more "oily" than the cockpit shine spray I tried to begin with.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try lubing the seals again.
twinny155, do you know exactly how the door latch was fouling the striker pin?

W

·
0 Posts
Had the same with the door latch...not sure if it's your problem though.

The latch was dry of grease, stuck some on and it was sorted for a few months....very annoying it was!!!

I remember stopping once to get some oil off the dipstick I was so p155ed off with it :lol:

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
ally said:
I'll try lubing the seals again.
twinny155, do you know exactly how the door latch was fouling the striker pin?
The latch just contacts with the door catch and rubs :rant:

wrinx

·
Registered
19 Posts
155 catch pin doesn't have a plastic insulator like other conti. The other quick solution is wrap it with black wire tape. check the door hinge for excess movement too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the answer to your problem.

After getting fed up with having to splash oil onto the rubber seals every 7 days or so, I searched for a more permenent solution, and I think I have found it...

I purchased some Nylon Loop tape (the smooth side of a Velcro fastener) from Maplins - On one side is a strong adhesive, the other a black, smooth, thin & weatherproof material. They sell it by the roll or in 1m strips. Make sure that you buy the "loop" tape and not the "hook" tape.

Firstly remove all traces of oil or treatment from the door seal. Then cut a strip of velcro that matches the inner edge of the rubber door seal, if you cut the strip straight enough, no-one will notice the modification. Apply the strip to the inside edge of the door rubber. Now because there is no longer rubber-to-rubber contact you should find that the squeaking stops-perminately.

On my car the tape has stayed in place for the last 6 months and has resisted water ingress without any sign of wear.

I hope that my solution will help you.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts