Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I started getting a squeaking/creaking noise when turning the wheel at low speeds, when parking of moving away from a stand still.

Today I got the window down while moving at around 30mph and there is a creaking noise with every minor bump or turn of the wheel.

Can anyone pinpoint what this is please? First thought would be lower arm but I'm far from an expert. Any thoughts on price also?

As a temporary fix (as I was recently forced to provide her with 3 new tyres) would dousing the area in WD40 give me a few hundred miles until pay day?

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
..... would dousing the area in WD40 give me a few hundred miles until pay day?
It would be a waste of WD40. I see you've been a member for a couple of years, have you not noticed any 'suspension creaks' threads? The most likely cause (but not guaranteed) is upper wishbones, they may be salvageable if you remove the wishbone, pop out the top hat collars that the long bolt passes through and apply a generous dab of rubber friendly grease.

Look for threads regarding the orientation of the long bolt too.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd seen one or two posts with a similar idea but I hand the upper wishbones replace about 18 months/8,000 miles ago (apologies, should really have put that in the original post!)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Silicone based lubricant spray will be miles better than WD40 for the squeaks.. Silicone is kind to the rubber bushes and has a bit more staying power than WD40.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi guys,

I started getting a squeaking/creaking noise when turning the wheel at low speeds, when parking of moving away from a stand still.

Today I got the window down while moving at around 30mph and there is a creaking noise with every minor bump or turn of the wheel.

Can anyone pinpoint what this is please? First thought would be lower arm but I'm far from an expert. Any thoughts on price also?

As a temporary fix (as I was recently forced to provide her with 3 new tyres) would dousing the area in WD40 give me a few hundred miles until pay day?

Thanks in advance for any help
I had this problem and it was the lower arm balljoint. There was no play in the joint (but the noise was really loud) so as I had nothing to loose I injected the balljoint with grease. On doing this I noticed a small cut in the rubber boot. After a few days/week the noise disappeared and has been silent since (several months). Worth a try.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
What gtv160 said. If it's most noticeable when you turn the steering it's probably the lower arm ball joint. Can be seriously loud, and quite different from the rubbery creak of upper wishbone bushes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. Having ruled out wishbones and replacing steering rack which was suffering from excessive play, it turns out its the ARB. Exactly same symptoms as you. Not worth fixing until my Eibac kit arrives as sub frame needs dropping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts