Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had a terrible high pitched squeak coming from my 156 on the way home today. It was so loud that pedestrians were staring after me! Most embarrassing!

I'm fairly certain it is the brakes as it stops when the brakes are applied but I don't understand why it is happening or how to fix it.

Is this just brake dust causing this?

Can anyone advise how to cure this incredibly irritating noise?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's a stone. I had that on my old Audi 90 quattro. That was more a grinding, scraping noise, this is a much higher pitched squeaking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the likelyhood is your rear brake pads are seized in the caliper carrier and are binding on slightly.to diagnose apply handbrake slightly with knob pressed in when noise occurs.if noise stops you now its that

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the likelyhood is your rear brake pads are seized in the caliper carrier and are binding on slightly.to diagnose apply handbrake slightly with knob pressed in when noise occurs.if noise stops you now its that
Thanks Justin, tried that this morning and as you say, applying the handbrake does cause the noise to stop. It was much more intermittent this morning but this is going to get REALLY annoying. How do I stop it?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I reckon the squeak might have been down to brake dust as I've now done another 100miles squeak free. very annoying but glad its gone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
common fault on 156 if squeak on suspension poss cause bottom ball joint ,,,,squeak when applyin foot brake then poss brake pads at fault,,,also very rere anti roll bar bushes somtimes squeak

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you replace your rear brake pads or strip and clean and apply copper grease to certain places on pads.this will cure this 100%.it would cost £60 to £65 to have new pads fitted at garage.hope you get sorted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts