Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i've got a 156 with VERY squeaky seats. it's the springs/mechanism as opposed to the leather which is squeaking. i can't really see a way of getting a good squirt of wd-40 into them, and the guy who serviced the car said there are sensors for the side airbags under the seats, so he advised to leave well them well alone.
anyone out there know of a cure? other than this, the car is pretty quiet inside but the squeaks are driving me mad!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Seats bases have no springs as far as i can see, only thing i can think you mean is the lever to adjust the position backwards and forwards. If it is this i just used a long screwdriver and some grease, not squeaked since apart from the seatbelt clip on the leather.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, it is difficult to tell exactly what part of the seat is doing the squeaking. i'll definitely get a dollop of grease into the mechanism tonight. thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Valda - did you have any joy with this? My 147 is doing the same. The suspension is stiff and im running on 17"'s, so everything rattles on shoddy roads, but my seats are so annoying!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
andy, no, i didn't get the chance to have a go at it last night, but when i was driving the car yesterday, i listened a bit more carefully to the squeaks - it seems to happen most when i lean back on the seat-back. i'll get a bit of grease onto the runners like maverick said and i'm going to try again to get a bit of wd-40 squirted into the seat where the seat-back and -base meet.
if you try anything else and it works, let me know please!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will do Valda. I've got a long journey tonight, so if i dont go mad before hand, i'll get back to you. Mine sounds like the passenger side is alot worse..either that or its effected my hearing already!!

Andy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
andy, i was working over the weekend, so only had a chance to lube the seat runners - they're still as squeaky as a mouse party in a cheese factory. any luck with yours?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My seat in the 147 used to squeak sometimes, usually only when pushing round a corner. I'm 6'4" so the seat was at the lowest it can go. I adjusted it up a tiny bit, just so it wasn't right at the very bottom and it hasn't made a peep since.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi,

No, still squeaking like hell. I'm 6'2 and tend to have the seat a bit further back and lower so i'll try bri's idea later...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good man, bri - i'm 6 foot 2 so also had the seat at its lowest setting, and quite far back. following your advice, i raised the seat just a wee bit and hey presto - no squeaking on the way home last night or on the way into work this morning.
andy, how'd you get on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts