Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 has now developed an annoying squeak....not from cabin because it gets louder when the window is opened, seems to coincide with bumps in road and fom the front. Any ideas, i'm beginning to hate this car now, i seem to be experiencing a whole heap of annoying little probs, if i had the wedge i would put it in a garage and let them give it a once over and list all the faults currently/properly so i could at least tackle them methodically.

Not a happy man today!!!:cry:

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's your front wishbone's mate. Mine did the same thing. Was the front Right Hand lower arm that had gone. cost me £170 to get it fixed. Apparently it's a common fault. Lets hear it for speed bumps and potholes!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
could be the upper arms also (same symptoms), the parts can be had for much cheaper on ebay and fitting is only a few hours labour

was the £170 through a dealer?

i payed £60 for a pair of upper arms

·
Registered
85 Posts
could be the upper arms also (same symptoms), the parts can be had for much cheaper on ebay and fitting is only a few hours labour

was the £170 through a dealer?

i payed £60 for a pair of upper arms
Surprisingly not!

That was through an indy garage I use. It was the lower arm though, which was replaced with a brand new one. Could have got the part a lot cheaper if I'd have got a 2nd hand part I guess but hey, it's only money!!

:mad:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Now is it a squeak or a creaking sound?
Upper arm bushes if its the latter and to be honest, a lot cheaper to resolve than many actually think!

Get hold of a hyperdermic syringe from a diabetic friend or friendly GP (as long as you tell him what it's for)...
Fill it with white lithium spray grease (Halfrauds).
Jack up the car and take off the front wheel.
You will see the two rubber bushes either side of the upper suspension arm.

Carefully insert the needle as far as you can into the bushes and squeeze the lithium grease in a little at a time.
I tend to go 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock around them.

10 minutes work either side and you are done for another six months at least and sixty quid plus labour better off in your wallet! ;)

Or if you prefer..... Buy the arms, spend two hours plus and bleeding knuckles to replace them per side..... Only to find it was the bottom arms after all...:lol:

I know what I would prefer!:p

Keep it cheap, keep it simple!
Oh and you can do the same to the bottom arms while you are on too ;) Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 that's where I got my upper wishbones front (and drop links) :thumbs:
Thanks for the link guys!! Still got to pay someone to fit them though eh? Then there's VAT etc..

Having said that, If I could have got all 4 for £150, that would be a hell of a lot cheaper per unit than what I paid for 1 lower arm!!

I shall bear that in mind in future!

Cheers

;)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
upper wishbones 'squeek'.

they can be removed & strip out the bushes & grease them up then reassemble :thumbs: ...assuming the ball joint is good & the bushes are generally in good order

M

·
0 Posts
Sure throw in new ones at that stage as the bushes do collapse after a while...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts